Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Beginner Mandolin

Started about 2 weeks ago practicing 15 minutes/day. Still not able to do a closed position g chord. How long on average did it take you to accomplish being able to fret closed g chord?

5 Likes

It could be different for everybody depending on what size fingers you have, but your hand and wrist position will also make a difference. It might help to shift your hand and wrist position around a little bit. Also, if mandolin is your first instrument, it will probably take longer. I couldn’t even make a basic ukulele chord before I played anything, but after learning guitar and banjo, I was able to make the full closed position G chord on mandolin right away. Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Agreed.

At Two weeks I’m surprised you’re working on more than partial chords right now. Closed chords don’t happen overnight…it takes time…like everything new.

Have you spent some time watching Ben’s left hand in videos? Is your hand positioned close to how Ben’s is? You could share a short video of you trying the chords and post it for Ben to look at…He might be able to help you improve your hand position if that’s something you need to do to play them better. .

Have you tried working through Ben’s “Beginner Checklist” ?

https://banjobenclark.com/university/beginner-mandolin-checklist

Hope some of this helps,

Dave

5 Likes

Welcome @bjfea!

I am a relatively new Mandolinist and am pleased to welcome you here on the forum. :+1:

KEEP THE FAITH. Watch the lesson videos to see Ben’s techniques and listen to his comments first and foremost. Practice daily (even a few minutes) and know that this forum has many nice members eager to assist and encourage you.

Please come back and post often.

3 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

Thank you

3 Likes

Appreciate it

3 Likes

It took a while,and that was coming from many years of playing guitar. I like the short training sessions approach you are doing. It takes time to get your muscles and brain trained. At least it did for me.

4 Likes

I hear you and thanks

3 Likes

My most important rule when playing is to just enjoy making music. I came to playing at 48, and definitely hit more than my off notes. I just love learning how to make my mandolin and fiddle make joyful sounds. Be patient with your progress, it will definitely happen. Have fun!

4 Likes

@bjfea,
The closed G chord took me months to learn at first. Don’t give up, you’ll get it for sure! :slight_smile: I started by just doing the bottom 2 strings of the chord, so 7th fret (D note) on the G string and 5th fret (G note) on the D string. Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Don’t worry, it’ll come! Yep, try some open chords for a while.

5 Likes

Thanks I am 70 and this is my first fretted instrument. I am having fun learning

7 Likes

Thank you

4 Likes

Thank you I will keep working on it

4 Likes

Just curious @bjfe, how’s the closed G chord coming along?

4 Likes

I have been playing the mandolin for a dozen years or so and still usually do not use the full G chop chord 7523. So I guess it depends on how much you want to use it. In my opinion the chop is so muted that even if you are not reaching the 7 consistently or cleanly it probably will not be noticed by anyone. Even if my pinky is on the 7th fret it is usually partially on the 6th fret of the D string but the chop is really just a percussive thud so (for me) close is good enough.

One way to work into it is play the same same shape but at D where the fret spacing is less and then work your way down.

7 Likes

Mr. Gamble thanks for asking about my progress on the closed G. I am now able to stretch fingers into position but not getting clean sound yet. However, today I was able to do 3 fingers cleanly one time, just once lol! Starting today going to two 15 minute sessions. One for chords the other for individual finger dexterity. Stay safe and well.

4 Likes

Mr. Stewart thanks for the input.

3 Likes

Nice to see you post again @C-Stewart!

3 Likes