Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Bass fiddle moving to different players

Hi! Wasnt sure what to title this…
In the video link below you’ll see the bass player moving around w his bass to stand behind whomever is playing the break. I’ve never seen that done before… (& this same band did that on 2 videos I just watched.) I’m guessing it’s to help keep the guy doing the lead stay tight on the time? Maybe they cant hear him otherwise? Is this a common thing? Thoughts? @Fiddle_wood? Anyone? I’m just curious!! Thanx!
“Crazy Creek” playing Shenandoah Vlly Brkdwn:

4 Likes

fascinating… And a little humorous (the spell-checking made it NUMEROUS! - Ugh)… Look at 'em go!

2 Likes

He wanted more camera time

6 Likes

I agree with Gunnar. he just wanted to get in on the act. Most amusing

5 Likes

Never seen anything like that!

I am pretty certain it was as @Dragonslayer and @Archie said. The absurdity of the largest instrument… moving around like that.

It makes me think that as the other Bluegrass artists move to the shared mic… This was his variation (payback?).

It also may be a band “inside joke” too.

3 Likes

I found the other vid with the “Roving Bass Man”:

1 Like

Been done a lot over the years. really nothing new.

It’s part a show thing. and part helps the lead player stay "in " with the beat.

It was more prevalent before having good mics on stage and good monitors was a regular thing. Back in the day it was near to impossible to hear the whole band if in front of a good sized crowd when on stage, and the old monitors couldn’t handle the low tones of a Bass well.

Now a days most Basses are electronically re-enforced with pickus & on-stage amps. and the modern monitor systems handle sound at a much superior level in general.

8 Likes

@Fiddle_wood thanx for the info. I kinda thought had something to do w keeping time. I’d just never seen it done like that, was definitely a show. Good thing the guy wasnt clumsy like me! And as for sound systems and the like, I’m clueless…

2 Likes

Now you mention it Dave I seem to remember Cousin Jake Tullock of the Foggy Mountain Boys sticking fairly close to Earl when they worked off two mikes although not as obvious as the bass player in this band.

2 Likes

And there you have it! Makes sense… especially in a true accoustic setup.

Thanks @Fiddle_wood

2 Likes

I would probably knock some stuff over.

3 Likes

Yup, I would end up taking out the players I was trying to help, as well as knocking stuff over, and causing a big deal out of it!! That’s probably why it’s good I play one of the smallest instruments :wink:

3 Likes

Oh I had been joking completely in my comment :joy::joy: although it’s not the first time I’ve been joking and right…

4 Likes

Here’s another example:

2 Likes

Wow… Great performance… And you can hear the bass very well too @mharrison43

3 Likes