Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo suggestions for my granddaughter

@BanjoBen, @AdamAsh, @Jake, or anyone else with an opinion, I’m looking for a starter banjo for my 7 year old granddaughter. Hoping to pick one up at the banjo only camp if possible. What say ye? Thanks!

3 Likes

Is weight a concern? Does she want a full sized banjo or a shorter scale for smaller hands? I’m sure @BanjoBen has several good options but I’m trying to think of what would be a good fit :blush:

4 Likes

Hi Jeff I think a Deering Goodtime would be a good fit. Light enough for a child and not too expensive

1 Like

Good questions. Definitely would like a smaller scale if that helps her learn and become accustomed to the banjo. I’ve got other granddaughters that could inherit this one if Elise (the 7 year old) decides to upgrade someday. But with that said, I don’t mind spending a few extra dollars on quality if that will be easier to play and learn.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Archie, I thought about that one. I little worried that it might be too long a neck for her. But it definitely checks off quite a few marks with relative quality and reasonable price. I guess we could capo up the neck to shorten the playing length.

1 Like

Go try before you buy.

2 Likes

@JKL We have one left of this little banjo that would be great, I think: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/plucky-banjo

2 Likes

Then it appears this was meant to be. Can I get the camp discount if I pay now (and I’ll just pick it up at camp to save shipping)?

3 Likes

Sure, shoot Adam@banjobenclark.com a message.

2 Likes

Looks like you found what your lookin for Jeff

1 Like

Yup, @Archie. Decided to skip the try out and just trust Ben. But thanks for the suggestions!

1 Like

@BanjoBen knows best.

1 Like

That little “plucky” looks pretty awesome.

1 Like

Those pluckys are nice. I’ve had several just for fun but they’d be great for a child. My 6 year old brother has a small banjo the size of a plucky and a full size beginner banjo. I much prefer teaching him on the little one just because the big one is too big for him.

4 Likes

@Timothy_L, Thanks for the insight!

2 Likes

Yeah the plucky is pretty fun. She should enjoy playing with it.

4 Likes