Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo String Question

I’m definitely not a banjo player but I have a question y’all. This weekend I watched the Del McCoury Band on the Grand Ole Opry (TV) and at the start of an instrumental tune Rob McCoury had a string break on his banjo. He was able to change the string and jump back with a solo toward the end of the song. It was amazing how fast he adjusted but even more amazing that the rest of the band adjusted as I’m sure he was still changing strings when a banjo solo was to take place (if you didn’t see him changing strings behind them you could not tell there was anything outside of normal). (Please don’t let any of my writing teachers see that last “sentence”)

Anyway, this is the 2nd time I’ve seen this happen to Rob McCoury (one other time on a youtube video at DelFest). I was just curious if this is a common thing with banjos, I’ve never broken a string on my mandonlin but I also don’t have metal picks on 3 of my fingers.

Just curious and figured someone here would have an experienced answer. BTW, the tune they played was just awesome. I don’t know how folks like that can play so fast and witch such great group timing.

2 Likes

It seems I remember Robby breaking a string somewhere else as well. I rarely ever break banjo strings, but I don’t put them under the pressure that Robby does. I think he plays super hard and I’m sure that has something to do with it. He is amazing and people don’t talk about him near enough.

6 Likes

I’ve never busted a string and i play with Lights all the time.

3 Likes

I recall that happening to an American Bluegrass Band touring Scotland - Possibly Craig Duncan & Friends which would mean it was Mark Barnett - The band was well into the tune when there was a loud crack - the banjo player moved to the back of the room and with in a matter of seconds was back to finish of his solo. Amazing to see happen right in front of you.

For those of you who have never heard of Mark Barnett I encourage you to look up Dizzy Fingers on YouTube.

During their tour I had a quick one-to-one FREE lesson with Mark when he demonstrated a hot topic that was currently being debated on over at the Banjo Hangout at the time “Bounce” I asked him if he could explain what bounce was. He asked me to play a tune on the banjo so I played the verse to Old Joe Clark he then asked me to listen to how he played it and had me repeat exactly what he had just played - I nailed it in one go and earned myself a round of applause from the audience who had come to see the show. Amazing the power of listening has on your playing skills.

Back then I didn’t know who Mark Barnett was or Indeed Craig Duncan & his band was. I was just a newbie to the banjo but I have never forgoten that lesson. Just not 100% sure it was Mark who broke the string but since I didn’t meet many American Bluegrass Bands I just figured it must have been Mark.

2 Likes

Oddly enough, I’ve never broken a string on banjo, but have on mandolin and guitar.

Speaking of string breaks during performances, at 24:07 in this video is one of the classiest string break/changes I’ve seen. Tony just cooly finishes the verse/chorus, goes backstage, and returns right on time after leaving the rest of the guys hanging!

5 Likes

That make me think of a line I heard one time. I think it was Sturgill Simpson talking about getting the old school Nashville A team musicians to do an album of his. Some had mentioned using the software “Studio Pro” for clean things up and the old musician said “we didn’t have to use Studio Pro we used a studio full of pros”

1 Like

It’s not really that common for me. A few weeks ago while we were in Galax right before we got on stage I was warming up and popped the first string. It was really loud back there and I was playing pretty hard on an older string. It happens a lot more often on the guitar with old strings but it still isn’t an extremely common problem for me at least.

4 Likes

I was at a Lewis Family concert and Little Roy broke a string and changed it surprisingly fast during the song. As for me, I rarely break a string on the banjo.

2 Likes

I used to break a lot of strings back as a beginner - Back then I used light strings. I now use Medium Heavies and I can’t remember when I last broke a string.

2 Likes

It happens.

As for speed in changing them, you can get pretty quick at it after a few thousand times.

4 Likes

Boy I can just see the cash registers go into overdrive at Banjo Ben’s General Store.

4 Likes

Did Little Roy use the broken string as a sling shot on the next break or maybe a lasso or any other crazy idea that only Little Roy could make a joke. He’s one of most entertaining performers I’ve ever seen.

Seriously he has probably changed a string or two over his life time.

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen that before. Great clip!

2 Likes

Well Guy’s & Gals there has been a lot of chatter on the Forum about strings breaking unexpectedly so if you’ve been thinking of stocking up on banjo strings Today is the Day to do it.

@BanjoBen has a promo on at the General Store today Wednesday 25 August just enter SHIPGOLD at the checkout for some FREE shipping. Remember what the Good Fairy said to Cinderella - This all ends at MIDNIGHT so don’t waste any more time get your order in whilst you can then should you break a string unexpectedly you’ll have one handy to see how fast you can replace it.

6 Likes

Even the pros break strings. Watch what happens to this old pro.
The action begins at the 5:42 mark.

4 Likes

He made the string breakage part of the act… Good showmanship! Further on…that Roy Clark really could pick, couldn’t he?

2 Likes

BB King is the best I have seen at string breaks. He keeps singing, and puts a string on himself.
Usually in the length of a verse he’ll have a new string loaded, stretched, and ready to go.

You got me watching Hee Haw. Yay! Man, I don’t remember “Stand by your man” being such a sad song. I guess it hits an older person different than a little kid.

2 Likes

String breaks…

I’ve not yet (knocking on wood) broke a mando string, I play mediums. Banjoson had yet to break a string, he plays Deering mediums. Guitarson has broken several, he plays mediums, but he does string bends, maybe that’s a factor.

Regarding @Mike_R comment about BB King singing while stringing, that’s impressive to me (who can barely sing & play & definitely not talk & play @ same time unless you count 1 word answers as talking :rofl:)… I’m not exactly coordinated :grimacing::grin:!!

Here’s a vid I saw a while back (took me forever to find it) of Lonesome River Band doing “Maryanne.”
Guitar guy is singing & about to take his break but pops a string, finishes break anyway, then camera fades to folks dancing in crowd, but bear with it, when camera goes back to guitar guy, he’s still singing & stringing on stage. Audio has background noise, but can still hear it & see it. Happens at about 1:50 after Sammy’s banjo break, then the dancing, then back to guitar @ 2:53

Oops, this was abt banjo strings breaking…
So to cover that base, here’s a video I recorded (Jan '20) of Billy Strings band doing “my sweet blue eyed darlin,” and at 2:02 you can hear the pop of the broken banjo string.

I love to see the recoveries!

2 Likes

@Simone: excellent clips! Restringing an acoustic live is NEXT LEVEL! Here’s one of the many BB clips. The way he bends and squeezes those strings, it is no wonder he is good at it. Admittedly, I’ve never seen anyone else wind a guitar string this way (except kind of old fender basses, but it’s different):

I have broken guitar strings live. The problem with acoustic is that you are playing mainly chords and you can’t just bend your way out of it. I generally look for a verse or something where I can quickly retune and then continue on with 5 strings. Which reminds me of a tip… the reason I started breaking strings is that the saddle had developed minor slots and I play pretty firmly. I sanded out the slots and the string breakage stopped immediately. Of course, I eventually needed a new saddle. It took me a while (and multiple broken strings) to figure out that saddle wear issue.

3 Likes