Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo String Cleaner

Just a quick question on cleaning banjo strings. I went to the local music shop and they sold me a bottle of Dunlop 65 (Orchestral) solution. On reading the label it appears to be more a wood polish. Can this be used on strings? Has anyone had experience with any of the Dunlop 65 products for string cleaning?

2 Likes

Hey Dale, I use that product but only on the body and metal finish. The strings I use a specific string slicker protector stuff that I can’t remember the name off the top of my head( I’m at work :smiley: ) I will get back to you on the name, But I love both products and I personally think the string dressing is really good stuff. It makes slides so smooth and the strings feel like new under your finger’s. I highly recommend ! HAPPY PICKIN!!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey Jon, thanks for the feedback. Would appreciate hearing what you (or anybody else in the forum) use for the strings. I may buy some of the Kyser product from Ben’s store, just wanted to check if the Dunlop 65 could be used, which sounds like a “no”.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use Dunlop 65 for strings; it could probably have a negative effect. I think what @jon1 was referencing was Fast-Fret, which slickens the strings. I like the Kyser String Cleaner sold in the General Store; it doesn’t make the strings more slick necessarily, but does clean most of the gunk off of them.

3 Likes

Thanks Michael, may give the Fast-Fret a go.

1 Like

I use GHS Fast Fret.

2 Likes

Hi Dale - give Fast Fret a try. I’ve used it for years on all my stringed instruments and love it. When I finished playing I apply a light coat, rub the strings with a soft, clean cloth, and then apply another light coat before putting my instrument in the case. I think it helps prolong string life and makes a difference in the feel of noting the strings, especially when they start getting older. An added benefit of this product is that you can keep it in your case without worrying that it will leak/spill so it’s always handy. Happy jamming!!

2 Likes

I have to go along with the Fast Fret recommendation. I’m still using a can I bought 20 years ago! (Yes, there was a long stretch where I never picked up the banjo. :roll_eyes: )

1 Like

Y’all keep talking about applying products to yer strangs to slick 'em up… All ya really need to do is play it right after eating some garlic bread or some pizza.

Them strangs will be slicker than snot. :wink:

5 Likes

I use a product called Fast fret string cleaner and lubricant, Got mine at the Banjo Ben General store. I think it works great. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks Jon, I will give it a go.

1 Like

Does it stain the fretboard? Do you need to put a cloth between the strings and fretboard to protect the fretboard?

2 Likes

Does NOT stain. Rub the stick on the strings once or twice, wipe off the strings with the enclosed cloth, put it all back in the can and play like you’ve never played before!

4 Likes

The side of the can lists mineral oil as the secret ingredient. Must be ok for fretboards. :+1:

2 Likes

Love the feel when those slide’s just slip down those string’s !! Ah the finer thing’s in life!! I wonder what the little people are doing??? :rofl: ( sometimes I just can’t help myself! ) :sunglasses: