Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo storage - to case or not to case

Hello Banjo Ben,

I have a suggestion for a short video on banjo storage: To case or not to case, that is the question. :slight_smile:

I know extremes and changes in humidity and temperature can damage your instrument. I’ve read that your banjo should be within 50 to 80 degrees and 30 to 60 percent humidity. With that said, is it better to keep your banjo in a hard case with humidity control (like Boveda) when not in use? Most people I know don’t keep their banjo in a hard case with humidity control. Instead, they keep it on a stand or hang it on the wall. What is your opinion/advice on the matter. Thanks!

2 Likes

IMHO

I keep my Twanger and my Stelling in their cases when not in use. My Fender I keep on a stand. I rarely play my Fender these days. I live in a temperate climate zone. No issues

2 Likes

I keep mine on a stand, simply because I play a lot more it it’s out in the open and easy to grab :laughing:

3 Likes

My instruments live out of their cases year round (though I live in Florida). If you experience dry and/or cold seasons, my guess is that keeping your instrument in a room within that optimal temperature and humidity range (it may be a good idea to invest in a humidifier/dehumidifier) will prevent most issues. If I wasn’t able to control the humidity and I knew it was going to be very dry, I’d probably opt for an in-case humidifier.

2 Likes

“Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances.” I’ve had one banjo go bad from dry air. The neck shrunk til the frets stuck out of the sides like barbs, and the resonator split. This happened because my banjo lived in a cheap case and never saw the light of day for 25 years.
My Deering Sierra lives outside the case and gets played daily. I’ve not seen any signs of damage due to humidity levels. Let’s see how it looks in 15 years.

1 Like

If you have gas heat and low humidity, I’d either get a room humidifier or keep in case. Definitely get you a digital hygrometer to see what you’re working with.

2 Likes

All of the major points have been covered on the matter. You can put those points in your kit bag and action accordingly. From the “operational” standpoint the old adage is very true…out of sight, out of mind. If you have the proper room and a good stand, keep it out and handy. You’ll tend to put your hands on your instrument much more often.

2 Likes

+1 (or +1s?) to all the above. One thing I’ll add… I think a wall hanger (that can support the weight and put into a stud) is much safer than a stand. I have seen a few injuries to instruments that get bumped in a floor stand. The normal damage is a snapped neck right below the headstock.

4 Likes

Mine lives on a wall hanger. Our climate is rather moist, 110-120 inches of rain per year. I fully agree with Mason. Ease of access equals more playing time.
Play fast and take lots of chances,
J

1 Like