Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo-Only Cabin Camp Fall 2023 – Texas Farm!

Bring on the banjo! We’ve got three skill levels AND clawhammer, so wherever you lie on the banjo spectrum, come join in the fun this October 26-28!

Have questions/comments about the camp or want to “meet” some of your fellow campers beforehand? Just post down below.

Want info/suggestions for preparation? Check out the 2023 camp song list.

Coming this fall? Register here!

5 Likes

Hey Texas campers! Let’s continue the discussion here…what was your favorite part of the banjo-only camp with me, Bill Evans, and Katy Lou? I look forward to hearing your feedback :wink:

1 Like

This was my 6th camp. I can only speak for myself, but the thing that keeps me coming back more than anything is the people. Bluegrass people are the friendliest in the world, and somehow, Ben manages to foster an atmosphere at every camp that amplifies that dynamic.

I’ve brought my dad to the past 2 fall Kilgore camps. He’s not a musician at all, but he says the same thing. He loves the people. That includes the campers and the crew. Even Ben’s teenage volunteers are talkative and friendly.

I love the lessons. I love the jams. I love the performances, but there’s nothing quite like the experience of getting to know the campers over those short 3 days. It honestly feeds my soul. I’m forever thankful to be a tiny part of it.

9 Likes

You’re always an IMPORTANT part of every camp you attend! Thankful for you!

10 Likes

The instruction provided to campers is second to none. Ben, Katy, and Bill are not only great pickers, but they are also great teachers. However, like @Mark_Rocka has already said, my favorite part is the people and the relationships that are built at these camps. I got to see, hang out with, and pick with old friends (many of whom have gotten to be more like family to me); and I got to make some new friends as well.

6 Likes

Ben, I thought the instruction was perfect. The opportunity to learn from all three of you was valuable. Each of you would build upon what we learned from the previous instructor each day. This created a learning environment that progressed the knowledge each day.

Secondly, the opportunity to play on stage with the instructors was super exciting. Personally, having the chance to play a piece that I wrote, then trying to find the courage to play it, without rehearsing it first, was intimidating but was an adrenaline rush as well. Thanks to you on Guitar, Penny on Mandolin, and Sarah on Bass, we pulled it off. In was a badge of validation for me, and thanks to you guys, it significantly elevated my confidence and motivation. I have to believe the same is true for the other campers who performed on stage as well. Continuing to provide this kind of opportunity in other camps adds significant value.

Thanks for being a great mentor.

Mike

6 Likes

Wonderful feedback, Mike, and I loved your song! Did you get a chance to watch the video yet? Turned out GREAT!

2 Likes

Yes, I watched it last night! It turned out well. By the way, thanks for the kind comments you made about me and my wife. Robin watched the video and heard your comments. I think that had her smiling all week.

Thanks again for the opportunity

1 Like

Hey Ben,

Are you able to resend me the link to the Texas Cabin Camp concert. I think I accidentally deleted it. My father wanted to see it when I visit him tomorrow. Email is mlock123@gmail.com.

Thanks

Mike

1 Like

Sorry, just saw this: https://youtu.be/e1yekMzXKhY

3 Likes

Thanks Ben!

1 Like

awesome2