Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo on Mars

Quote from the Banjo Hangout On this Day

2/21/1916 - First banjo in Antartica. Meteorologist Doctor Leonard “Doc” Hussey took his 5 string banjo on Sir Ernest Shackleton’s Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition to reach the South Pole. On 21 February 1915 the Endurance reached it’s southern most point but got trapped in the pack ice. The banjo was rescued from the Endurance, despite its 12lb weight, as Shackleton decreed it was “vital mental medicine”.

I read somewhere recently that NASA were considering sending a comedian on the first manned mission to Mars. Not sure if this was just some FAKE NEWS I am sure I can guess who some folk might like to send.

In the light of what Sir Ernest Shackleton had to say about the banjo being ‘vital mental medicine’. What are the chances of them sending a banjo player.

2 Likes

Not too likely, (you find a banjo picker smart enough to be an astronaut :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :joy: ) but it would be cool

4 Likes

Mars is a one way trip. I am no genius, but I know what that means. :slight_smile:

It means that the banjo won’t be coming home :cry: :wink:

2 Likes

I asked my wife if I should take my Banjo or Guitar and she winked and said “Take your PIck” :smiley:

3 Likes