Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Newsletter Interview! Help Needed!

Guess what, y’all?! I’m going to be featured in Banjo Newsletter! This is a huge honor for me. One of the items requested to go alongside my interview is a tab of an arrangement of mine–I need your help! What is your favorite banjo arrangement of mine? Perhaps not your favorite to play, even, and it can be above your skill level. But, what do you think is the best to demonstrate what “I do.” Thank you!

18 Likes

Lonesome Road Blues for me. It’s what got me into your curriculum.
Best of Luck!
Billy Shaw

2 Likes

My vote is for “Jazzy Joy To The World” (wearing that same giddup of course)!

Congratulations Ben!.. Whatever you choose will be superb!

2 Likes

I think Lonesome Road Blues is an Alan Munde arrangement? (but yeah that’s a good one!).

My favorites to play are Leaning On the Everlasting Arms, Bury Me Beneath the Willows, and In the Sweet By and By.

3 Likes

Congratulations!
Wow, tough question.

Your “style” on instruments is that of a typical pro in my opinion. You’ve absconded with bits & pieces from everyone. and put it together to best fit what you want to convey.

The difference in you and many others is your ability to convey a certain lesson within a peice. You’re a gifted teacher, and often write things to get a certain idea across, or build on a certain skill while learning the tune…

I would think that this theme should be included in the piece you choose to share.

Sorry if I just made this harder.

3 Likes

Hi Ben

Congratulations and may I just say long overdue.

I would like to suggest Red River Valley. I think it is one of the best build a break lessons you have produced. It’s also a popular tune and you made it a lot more challenging by creating three breaks in three different keys, with neat transitions to each new key. I do believe it is a fantastic arrangement to demonstrate your teaching and playing skills. It is probability way more advanced than you might normally find offered on Banjo Newsletter but I believe it would send a clear message to every budding banjo player seeking to improve their playing skills that BanjoBenClark.Com is the place to find High Quality Lessons for Banjo, Guitar and Mandolin.

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/red-river-valley-build-a-break-banjo

3 Likes

Will the circle be unbroken build-a-break.
It’s a great example of how your B.A.B. style works, as well as being a classic bluegrass standard

Congrats on the interview!

3 Likes

Tough Choice to narrow down.
Lonesome Road Blues is hard to beat.
I’ve been learning Wayfaring Stranger and that is a solid arrangement. Dancing on My Grave is one of my favorites. It’s got drive with melodic stuff thrown in.

It really would take several songs to exemplify your depth of style and techniques. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Congratulations Ben! IMHO “Waypoints” would be a real eye opener for many, however, “The Wreck Of Old 97” is a classic example of your teaching. The basic melody will be attainable for the beginner and adding the basic rolls and “beefing it up” will get a person sounding like a banjo player. I think even a seasoned banjo player would enjoy the last two breaks.

3 Likes

The three favorites for me: Grandfather‘s Clock
Blackberry Blossom
The Entertainer

2 Likes

This is hard but got to go with a classic
FIREBALL MAIL
httpss://youtu.be/0pWnZFrdQFE

2 Likes

I think all of the previous examples are great!! Congratulations on the interview!! Cant wait to read it!!!

However, I think one of the better lessons describing what you do is your “Man of Constant Sorrow” lesson. In that lesson, you not only put up the tab, and play it slowly, but you let the student know that there are several ways to perform a certain task. Given your experience, you show the best or most efficient way to perform the task, and explain the reason why. For example; on the pull offs and the bends, you explain the reason for bending one direction versus the other, and the pull offs, why push the string up versus pull it down for the pull off. These are things that could make an arrangement difficult for a lot, if not explained why it’s done a certain way.
I think it’s things like this that set your instruction apart from others. You seem to educate the student instead of just providing instructions.

4 Likes

Congrats @BanjoBen! I think either the new intermediate version of “Cherokee Shuffle” or “Nothing but the Blood” would both be great tabs to feature!

2 Likes

If you want showcase your skills, one piece won’t do it. You should put together a short medley of the top selections that have been posted here. BTW CONGRATS!!!

4 Likes

In order:
Wayfaring Stranger,
Sweet By and By
Blackberry Blossom
Fireball Mail

2 Likes

Congrats Ben! Not only would it be hard for me to pick a favorite, I would probably be adding another song to the list, making it harder for you…

2 Likes

Maybe we should start a poll…

3 Likes

Any of the build a break songs. Their both great to learn and fun to play.

1 Like

Grandfather‘s Clock
Sounds beautiful

1 Like