Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Neck Width & Playability

I’m playing my '‘real starter’ banjo while my Goodtime Two Artisan Special is being refretted and noticed that it feels like it has a wider neck as you move up the neck. Both are 1/14 inch at the nut but the ‘starter’ banjo feels wider as you move up the neck (2 inches at the 22nd fret), and thus makes it more playable for me - I have long fingers - even though it’s much less of a banjo. Are there differences in banjo neck widths (brands, specific banjos, etc.) as you move up the neck that I should be looking for that best fits my hand size/finger length? Thanks! Al

2 Likes

Oh dear! It sounds to me like you need another banjo! :grin:

“Are there differences in banjo neck widths (brands, specific banjos, etc.)”
There sure are!

In many respects, a banjo is an exercise in compromise. A banjo is made up of over a hundred pieces, and each piece has its own influence on how the banjo plays. So yes, you will try many banjos until you find a neck that feels “just right.”

You will try many sets of strings until you decided on which ones you prefer.
You will go through finger picks like popcorn, trying to find the ones that not only fit just right, but sound right, too.

Then one day you’ll start thinking about putting on a different bridge. That changes the sound as well.

So, yes, you should be looking for a neck that best fits you. Just don’t expect to find it anytime soon. Playing the banjo to your own satisfaction is a long journey with many happy milestones along the way. Savor every moment!

1 Like

Yes, Al (@moffattal), there are different neck designs. And as Joe said, you’ll go through many choices along the Banjo journey. I’m just a plunker who is enjoying the slow learning curve, but I have gone through the phase of upgrading my banjo. So here’s my two cent’s worth of tips.

My upgraded banjo is a Nechville. That’s a unique animal in the Banjo world, but the neck felt “right” to me. Turns out that Nechville’s standard is a wider, radius (has a slight curve to the fretboard like a guitar) neck. Others (like Huber), have wider neck and radius options as well—just not their standard. I like that Nechville shape, but I recently had Dave Dillard build me an open back banjo with a standard width and flat fretboard that I like as well. Dave builds “C” “ V” and “partial V” shapes (the shape on the back of the neck), and I really like his partial V shape. So I’ve found that my preferences have morphed some with time (so more excuses to buy more banjos—my wife really loves that :blush:).

So, yes, lots of options, and I recommend you contact Ben first—he has lots of choices in his general store and good advice. Also, if you get the chance to go to a camp, you’ll see lots of different styles. That’s important because above all else, you need to feel each neck before making the investment.

Again, just my two cents. Good luck if you decide to pursue the upgrade path.

1 Like