Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo In Worship

Is there anyone out there who would collaborate with me on worship music? I play backup and am wanting ideas for backup beyond rolling.

1 Like

Hey Laurie! What did you have in mind? What you’re describing sound like a perfect opportunity for using Ben’s Bag-O-Licks lessons. They take you beyond simple rolls and the transition lessons really spice up your chord changes.

If you’re playing with a whole band, it’s a great way for training your brain where those melody notes are on the fret board, too.

Let me know what you’re thinking and I’ll see what I can do to help.

1 Like

Thanks Mark. We’re playing King Of Love by I Am They this Sunday and I’m trying to work out the banjo part. I’ve got a good start on it but having difficulty with chord changes and fingering as I listen to an mp3 with a slowdowner app. There about exactly one tutorial by the band themselves but teach only the guitar part. Go figure since banjo is prominent. I’d like to see banjo fingering on the neck.

That’s really just one request. Worship songs vary greatly in tempo, some I use walks and licks. Some ya just can’t use walks and licks! I get bored sometimes and want to do something different.

1 Like

It’s going to be tough to get something worked up before tomorrow, but if you have a link so I know I’m listening to the correct version, please post it. I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

I have a banjo track but it’s too large to uipload here. You can email me at lauriewarta@gmail.com and I can reply with the file. The part I’m struggling with as far as the fret hand is the Chorus which appears at about 1:03 - 1:23 and again at about 2:10-2:40. I’m good with the verses and turnarounds. If you have time to help with it before tomorrow, great. If not, no worries.

1 Like

Email sent.

1 Like

OK, well I understand why you’re having problems with the chorus. I assume you’re putting your capo at the first fret since this is in G#. If that’s the case, there’s a note in there that you just can’t play on the banjo (that low C#.) We could tune the D string down a full step and then you could hit it, but then you’d have to keep a finger planted on the second fret through the whole song, which wouldn’t be fun at all.

Also, we could do it note for note in standard tuning with a capo (except that C#) but it’ll require picking the D string twice in a row near the end of the chorus. If you want to get away from that, here’s what I recommend.

Let me know if these tabs give you any trouble. The timing of the song is a bit strange to me, so I did the best I could to make it sound right in the tabs without spending too much time on the formatting.

King Of Love Chours Banjo.tef (908 Bytes)

2 Likes

I’m late on this one, because I’ve been out of town and off the forum for ten days, but two thoughts came to me, that you might consider for future reference.

1. Vamp the chords when you’re playing is not so prominent.
  2. Have the guitars tune down 1/2 step, so you won’t have to worry about that G# key.

Hope that provided some insight.

Jack

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the song, but 90% of the time a guitarist will use a capo to play G#, and the electric guitarist will be playing a closed position most likely. The trouble is the singers

Good point. May be a bit of pain but the banjo can also tune up, and spike a G# if it’s available.

1 Like

I’d tell whoever picked the key that your banjo doesn’t have all those notes.

Just kidding :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes