Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Fret Finger Placement

I’ve Been practicing for a LONG time (Incorrectly) it seems. I have been putting my fingertips “between the frets” instead of just behind them. I really missed out on that one. Now I’m having a lot of trouble unlearning all that. Any tips out there??

Hi @dallen David. How long is a LONG time? To be honest I think your “fretting” (pun intended) over nothing. Now that you know how to fret the strings correctly, over time you will learn to adjust your position accordingly.

1 Like

Like Archie said, I think it’ll come pretty quick now that you’re aware! Don’t get too worked up about it!

1 Like

Here’s a quick lesson Alan Munde gave at a cabin camp. Its a good exercise that may help.
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/controlling-your-fingers-with-alan-munde-banjo-beginner

Hi Archie: I’ve been playing ( at it) for about 10 years ,off and on. Am STILL an Intermediate-Beginner Haven’t practiced for months at a time due to family Health problems. I can play cripple Creek(1st one for everyone). Lower part of foggy Mt Breakdown midspeed. Amazing grace, unclouded day. I’m 88 yrs old and want to play well before I leave this world permanently I KNOW I’m just not practicing enough.Thanks for your response.

2 Likes