Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo bolster

Does anyone own or have any thoughts on the Banjo Bolster ?
It suppose to help with unwanted overtones for both open back and
resonator banjos.
Apparently though, positioning is the key so I’m wondering how
the bolster would be secured in a resonator banjo given all the
handling & movement.
Also, does this thing actually work??

What I’ve gleaned from others, a couple socks stuffed together will work just as well.
Do they work? Yes, if your ear is discerning enough to hear the overtones. So far, mine aren’t.

3 Likes

I had never heard of it until this thread. Looking at the website, it seems mainly geared towards open backs and on their recordings, it made a world of difference. True, the foam rubber recording sounded much better than nothing, but for $28, I’d give it a try if I had an open back banjo. They say you can use it with any banjo, but I am not sure I’d want to remove harmonics from my (resonator) banjo.

1 Like

I use this instead of the bolster:

https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/gold-tone-fitsall-banjo-damper

Looks like Ben is currently out of stock, but I really like the way this works on my openback banjo. Might be worth checking on availability.

Take care.

2 Likes

Do they need to be clean or will smelly ones cut the mustard?

2 Likes

It depends on your playing ability. If you play clean, use clean socks. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Wouldn’t most use dirty socks to best mask the smell of the banjo player?

4 Likes

I see you went for the cheap shot.
Most banjo players cannot afford socks.

4 Likes

Then again, most people that wear socks don’t have banjos !!!

3 Likes

Hi folks,

This is Ric, co-inventor of the Banjo Bolster. I just stumbled on this post today but wanted to let anyone interested in the Banjo Bolster that it is the real deal! We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not completely delighted with what the Banjo Bolster does for your banjo’s tone, you can send it back for a refund! Since launching our site in March, not a single Banjo Bolster has been returned. In fact, most people order one for each of their banjos. I’m not saying this to brag, but rather to let you know unequivocally that the Banjo Bolster works as advertised on our site on both open back and resonator banjos.

Please check out our Customer Testimonials on banjobolster.com to read real-world feedback. Check out Tom Collins and Hillarie Burhans’s video reviews.

Each Banjo Bolster is custom made to fit your banjo perfectly. And unlike all conventional stuffing methods, the Banjo Bolster does not need to touch the banjo head to be effective. It laser targets the undesirable overtones while maintaining your banjo’s full volume and frequency response and gives you almost limitless control over your tone.

Please email me directly (ric@banjoboslter.com) or call us at 631-656-8581 if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Deb & Ric Hollander
BanjoBolster.com

p.s. The device that was mentioned in an earlier reply to this post is not the Banjo Bolster.

2 Likes

I’m the Beginner with the tin ear that cannot discern the overtones. At least that’s what I thought until I listened.
https://banjobolster.com/pages/hear-the-difference-a-banjo-bolster-can-make

I could certainly tell the difference in the audio clips, and the bolster seemed to perform as advertised. To my ear you get the banjo tone without the banjo ring.

I like the overtones, but I can see where thy could be problematic in some circumstances. Of course, I will have to be much more proficient before those circumstances arise. :wink:

Hi BanJoe,

I wanted to mention that overtones are an important component of any instrument’s tone. Without them, our banjos would be lifeless. The Banjo Bolster is designed to allow the player to “dial in” the amount of overtones they desire, not to remove them completely.

Thanks for your post and for providing the link to the sound examples. Much appreciated!

Ric

1 Like

I’ve heard Ricky Skaggs refer to some songs as “stanky” bluegrass so they must use the dirty socks on those songs

1 Like

Just saw a new product from Gold Tone.
Their Gold Tone Banjo Damper.
Wonder if anyone will do a comprehensive comparison between
the Bolster and The Damper.
From what I’ve read, the Damper acts more like a glorified mute,
cutting down “volume” primarily.

I own and use the Gold Tone damper. It is not intended as a mute. Instead it helps suppress the overtones to get a better sound for old time/clawhammer playing. It works great on my Ome openback. That banjo has a brass hoop tone ring, and the damper helps tone that down (which is preferred to achieve the old time thump). I also have a short scale openback built by Dave Dillard of the Nashville Banjo Company. Dave generally uses wood tone rings, so that one doesn’t need any dampening—already sounds great as is. I don’t have a bolster, but from what I’ve heard, you can get similar effects to the damper.

I tried the Gold Tone damper but it pretty much killed my tone and volume. I guess that’s why Gold Tone categorizes it as a “Mute” on their site. I also discovered and LOVE the Banjo Bolster and have one in all my banjos!!! Honestly, there is no comparison between the two. I love the way you can configure the Banjo Bolster to control exactly how much of the overtones are removed. I also find it amazing that the bolster doesn’t have to touch the head to be effective!

4 Likes

@hannahrenner80, hello and welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @hannahrenner80. Sounds like I need to add the bolster to my list of banjo gadgets to try. I can imagine that the Goldtone damper would be more of a mute for a resonator banjo (I’m assuming that’s what you play). Welcome to the forum.

Sure thing JKL!

1 Like