Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Ben's Inaugural Cabin Camp, March 28-30, 2019!

I have some family and friends who live in and around Nashville, is it OK to invite them for Saturday night? Might be an extra 6-8 folks. Happy to pay for them of course.
Thanks, and Psyched!

Michael

Shoot me an email about this at ben@banjobenclark.com please. I’d love to accommodate if possible but I need to talk with caterer, etc.

OK, will do. Things pretty tentative this early but will check with you directly.

I had two mandolin students withdraw due to personal reasons. If you are interested, first come first serve. Email Andrea at membersupport@banjobenclark.com

One has been filled, one left.

Any possibility of a 30 minute live stream during the camp, so the rest of us non-attending members can see what we are missing? :star_struck:

1 Like

.[quote=“Danl1, post:90, topic:7364, full:true”]
Any possibility of a 30 minute live stream during the camp, so the rest of us non-attending members can see what we are missing? :star_struck:
[/quote]

Hi @Danl1

I did ask @BanjoBen if he might consider video recording some of the events particularly the jam sessions for overseas students who can’t travel and I did get a LIKE on my suggestion. It would be great to have it confirmed in writing though

If you have signed up for my camp and have not received a survey email AND a song list email AND a hotel email (3 total emails from me or Andrea) by 7 February, you need to let me know by emailing me, please. You can email me at ben at banjobenclark.com

Just posing a couple thoughts before too many presumptions are made. As the camp has been and is being promoted as a safe and encouraging learning environment, some campers may feel uncomfortable with having their sessions recorded and published or live streamed. It might be a huge and stressful step for some just to play with or in front of others let alone be recorded and published on line.

I’m sure there will be some sort of overall video of the event, a highlight reel of sorts, similar to clips you would find at other bluegrass camp pages I suppose.

Speaking only for myself, I’ve paid a goodly amount to be there to learn and enjoy the company of other good and talented people. I’m nervous about playing in front of others and all my life have had a phobia of being in front of cameras. This is a huge step for me but I’m diving in, believing that it is a safe and encouraging environment. I realize that people will have their own cameras, and I’ll deal with it I guess. If cameras come out that I know are going to be broadcasting or publishing my session or my playing, I’d probably freak out and walk out. Can’t help it. My point is, for me anyway, it would be distracting from the learning. There may or may not be others like me, I don’t know. But yeah, I know, I’m a freak.

There’s also the very real notion that we literally paid to play. There will be other camps and a camp is being planned for Europe. If I were not attending this camp though, I’d sure be wanting a peek as well, so yeah I get it.

4 Likes

Nah, not at all. I think it is a reasonable request to not have your individual playing broadcast to 7 billion people. It might be tough to ensure you aren’t in any large group shots, but if someone gets in your discomfort zone with a camera, just ask them to turn it off.

1 Like

Or, if you want, I’ll come be your bouncer. If I see a camera that I don’t like, I’ll grab it and throw it in the creek.

Just kidding :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi @Maggie I respect your position and your views. I have no wish to put pressure on you or any other student attending the camp to be photographed against their will.

My suggestion was and always has been with the best intent. I have always looked on Ben’s forum as a family friendly place. a safe and encouraging learning environment, where we all share our knowledge and skills with each other. Both you and I are already a big part of that community.

Some folks can’t travel to the US or to any future events in Europe. None-the-less it would be nice to see and feel part of the community. If this is an issue about folks gettring something for free then I for one would be happy to make a donation to help @BanjoBen improve his website.

If it makes you feel any better, you’re not alone. I’ve performed in front of large audiences (biggest was about 3,000 people.) At one time, my band had played so much that I didn’t even get nervous jitters getting up on stage any more. That being said, just the thought of playing in front of people as talented as Ben and the rest of the teachers that will be there sends my anxiety through the roof.

I know where you’re coming from, but I can tell you, no one (seriously, no one) around you thinks what you THINK they’re thinking about your playing. We’re all just there to have a good time and do our best. It’s kinda like the fat person at the gym. He or she thinks everyone is laughing at them when the reality is most people are silently proud of them for stepping into the gym in the first place.

We’re going to have tons of fun! Just let those cameras document that fun. You’ll be glad you did.

4 Likes

I get nervous as well and I don’t like cameras in my face. No, I won’t be livestreaming as you’re trying to learn. I hope to do an overall camp video showing our experiences but I promise not to embarrass you and I will always ask your permission.

3 Likes

Yeah, like in the Godfather…

There ya go. Wheewwww…

I totally get people wanting to see what’s going on a be a part of it, I would too. I just would like a heads up so I can get behind the camera. I’m used to dealing with that. I just figured there may be others like me as well to be considerate of.

1 Like

Nope, doesn’t make me feel one bit better. Nice try though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally understand @Maggie, I hope you gain a lot from your experience I only wish I could be there to share the live experience with you.

1 Like

To my knowledge, the viewer can’t be used to make any changes to existing files, including transposing keys. Which file do you need transposed? I’ll see what I can do.