Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Backup for Three Wooden Crosses

Has anyone ever tried to play backup to the Randy Travis song “Three Wooden Crosses”?

No, but I’ll bet that would sound great with a
banjo backing it up.

1 Like

I just looked up the chords. Looks like Randy does it in C. Has a D min and A min and a couple 7s, Much more than I expected but not terribly complex. I think if you did rolls on the chords it would be great.

What about some teardrop back up how do you think that would sound?

I played it for a church special a few months back. I just played rolls with chord phrasing and it turned out well. Key of C . It has enough chord changes to keep it interesting without being too repetitive. Give it a try.

1 Like

I sang with it also and it was just a solo. It was nothing fancy but it came across really well. Great Song !!!

Here’s a little lesson on the tune. The playing is not the best but maybe it’ll help some.

9 Likes

That was great stuff! I have figured out the chords to lots of songs by trial and error. But how do you figure out if it’s a chord with a different note other than the root in the bass? I play the slash chords all the time with our church on guitar so I’m familiar with them, and I like to play the bass note on guitar even though the bass is covering it also.

Wow. Some day

Thanks Ben for the quick reply. I was asked to play back up on this song for a special in church (Dec. 30) and I thought it would only need to be rolls and NO hammers or slides, Thanks again

Thanks…I’ve been asked to play with the church band on this song with a special singer.

It’s easier after you do it a long time. But essentially, the bass note can either be the root or one of the other triads of a chord (most always). A little trial and error will tell you which one it is. The 1/5 is used in almost every hymn arrangement ever written, haha!

1 Like