Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Banjo Backup Course

Hello Fellow Banjo Enthusiasts,

Why did the banjo player bring a ladder to practice? He had trouble reaching those high notes up the fretboard. :blush:

I’ve been diligently working my way through Banjo Ben’s Beginner Banjo Learning Track, and I wanted to share my experiences with the Banjo Backup course.

Everything here is valuable, and if you haven’t yet, I highly recommend investing your time and effort into all of these lessons.

While your experience may vary, here are some key takeaways that resonated with me:

Alan Munde Interview: The interview with the legendary banjo player, Alan Munde, was not only informative but also incredibly entertaining. Even Bens face lit up when Alan started playing.

Major Chords: Ben’s lessons covering I, IV, and V major chords in the various bar, X, and Y positions truly expanded my horizons as I am learning to explore the entire fretboard. No more ladder required!

Enhancing Picking Techniques: The discussions on picking techniques and rolls and smooth chord walking transitions were incredibly valuable.

Chord Walking: I took extra time diving into chord walking and spent a fair amount of time trying to develop my own walks.

As Ben pointed out, major chords consist of three tones, a 1-3-5 , the root, third and the fifth.

So while Ben shows 2 examples of chord walking into the root, and one example of chord walking into a third. I started exploring with chord walking walks into the fifth.

Banjo Single Measure Backup: This part of the course, in my view, is a standout. With he MP3 files looping, I found myself lost in that G - G - C - C - Em - D - G - G progression, playing it over and over at 3/4 speed 10 minutes without pause till everything was smooth a melodic.

For me it’s not mimicking Ben’s adaptations exactly; it’s about having the tools to choose your path and play in your style.

Warm regards,

David

7 Likes

“What do you call a banjo player wearing a suit & tie?
The defendant.

I plead guilty to agreeing with everything you said.
I’ve been sentenced to hard labor making F chords out of an open G.

3 Likes

Bingo bingo bingo!!! Wonderful feedback, @david8hunt! Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @david8hunt David

Great to see you’ve gotten off to a great start learning backup David. My advice going forward is waste no more time cracking banjo jokes and get down some serious study. Since you have come thus far I think you are ready for a Major NEW YEAR Challenge. @BanjoBen 's Waypoint G & C Lessons, his Lonesome Road Blues Lesson and his Boogie 1 & 2 Series. Once you have completed this group of lessons you’ll be ready to tackle anything else Ben has on this site.

I look forward to your feedback on this challenge one year from now.

2 Likes

Good morning @Archie,

Thank you for the lesson advice and the challenge you’ve thrown down. I accept it wholeheartedly and will dive into the lesson recommendations next.

And don’t worry, I will make another new year’s resolution – no more banjo jokes! :smile:

So, why did the guitar players start bringing Google Maps to practice? Because they were trying to map out their solo!

Cheers,

David

2 Likes