Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Bad Habit Syndrome

I often see posts on the Banjo Hangout where students obsess over acquiring bad habits or a seed is planted by a teacher to suggest the only way to avoid picking up bad habits is to have one to one lessons with a teacher, preferably with them.
Since I am a distance learner I have no first hand access to a professional teacher and have had to rely on books DVDs and Online lessons to acquire my banjo skills. The few face to face lessons I have had I knew more than the person teaching me. So here is my best advice to you as one banjo student to another. Don’t obsess over bad habits. Any bad habit’s you have acquired either on your own or passed on to you by a teacher in a face to face lesson, [ Oh yes teachers do pass on bad habits. ] can be fixed pretty easily.

The fact that you are reading this on @BanjoBen 's Forum suggests you are already a Gold Pick Member learning from the best teacher there is or you are thinking about joining as a Gold Pick Member.

If you study with Ben you should know you are in good hands. He will teach you all the skills you need to become a good banjo player. You might acquire a strong desire to dress up in funny clothes and act weird on occasion. But rest assured that fad is not going to effect the way you play your banjo.

3 Likes

Right On Archie.
I would like to add … “YOU ONLY FAIL WHEN YOU STOP TRYING” !!!