Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Back to the fold...with another instrument

Hi Ben, Well I have come back to the fold after bouncing around the internet for a while. But this time I bought a lifetime membership! I also just bought an Eastman MD315 F Mandolin from the store. Jake steered me right. I wanted the best I could get for the money and I couldn’t be happier! It should be the only one I’ll ever need. However, I could use a little advice. I am also learning banjo. I have made a lot of progress in the last few years but as you can imagine I have a long way to go. Naturally, like any natural born idiot, I throw a whole new instrument in to the mix. My plan is to practice both instruments by concentrating them simultaneously on the same song at a time. My normal routine is to bounce around like a fly in a lampshade from song to song to exercise, etc. The problem is that I have’t developed a disciplined routine between learning scales, techniques and songs. Could a talented multi-instrumentalist give me some advice? I love your site but it is very easy for me to get off track and go down the various rabbit holes of videos, etc. All of which are fine but I still come away…like a fly in a lamp shade. HELP! :wink:

2 Likes

Well, not sure I can be much help, and not sure about the talent part. But I am a multi instrumentalist, and I would say, choose a lesson on one instrument, and memorize it before you move on. Then alternate to the other instrument, learn a lesson and memorize it. Also play both instruments for at least five minutes every day, no matter what happens. Do those things, and you’ll progress rapidly. And also, welcome back!

3 Likes

Well, welcome back Kieth :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you can juggle them both no problem. Here’s an example practice session, originally written for guitar but adaptable:

5-10 minutes: play SLOW rhythm with a song or two to loosen up your right hand

10 minutes: work on pick accuracy or scales, something that causes you to systematically and intentionally hit certain strings.

10 minutes: Work on a song or solo that you have been playing or working on, paying special attention to problem areas that need improvement. Are you getting better? If not, why not?

10 minutes: Play more rhythm, but faster, and try to work in some rhythm/picking licks.

10-20 minutes: Listen to a new solo/song, or open a new lesson, and work your way through it. Identify problem areas that will be monitored going forward.

10 minutes: Do a practice overview. What was fun? What was hard? Why? Why not? What particular skill needs more work? Use this time to hone it in.

2 Likes

Keith @Stixx3969 ,

I also bought an Eastman 315 about 10 months ago from Jake.

Be careful, my friend… There is something enchanting and uniquely intimate about the Mandolin. I play it much more often than my simple Epiphone MB-100 hollow-back.

I don’t know if it is because the class of the 315 is just much higher quality (relative to the separate instruments) or… that it is newer… or the reasons I mentioned earlier… but I enjoy grabbing and playing it so…

Please share your experiences as you settle in, OK?

1 Like

@BanjoBen,

I know you have done this type of practice outline before… but reading it again is so helpful as I confess… I have strayed off this path.

Perhaps lost in the woods, I will return back to that path at once, teacher!

1 Like

I will take this to heart and keep you posted!

Welcome back.

1 Like