Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

B scales using metronome

Hi Folks,

A month or so ago, Ben taught on the B or Bb scale. He said to use a metronome for quarter note, eighth note and then tripletts on each note. Now he was doing it at speed of 80 bpm. He said this is a great way to gather speed.

Now I just don’t know all the scales that well. Would it be stupid or counterproductive to start really SLOW like maybe 20 bpm and then overtime increase metro speed??? I really want to start doing this for all the stuff he says to do, but I can’t play like Ben can.

Please feel free to give feedback as I really want to start improving. Thanks

3 Likes

Personally, I believe that practicing at whatever speed you can do it correctly, is beneficial. If you try to go too fast, and are not doing it correctly you are reinforcing bad habits. Remember… PERFECT practice, makes perfect. Bad practice, makes bad.

2 Likes

I don’t think so at all! In fact, that’s exactly what pros usually recommend for building speed on songs or patterns that you want to be clean and proficient at. I think you have a great mindset- most people don’t have your level of patience (myself included)!

3 Likes

I’m almost positive I said in the lesson to start at the tempo you can play and increase from there. I was just doing 80 as an example.

1 Like

I meant no offense Ben, not at all. I just know you are super talented and I just am not there yet. Thanks for the input.

He’s really not that talented DLS…

He just started out really slowly 30 years ago.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t think you offended him btw. Ben runs this place like he’s a “teacher” in class…sometimes he smacks our hands with a ruler when our pick strokes are not correct too! All four corners typically have noses in them too.