Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Arthritis is not fun

It took me a couple of years of jumping from one instrument to another to finally find one that really spoke to me. And just when I open my heart to the banjer, arthritis kicks in. I’ve been having shooting, burning pains in my fingertips due to 20 years of typing. It’s especially bad in my picking hand, and I’ve noticed that 3-finger rolling makes it flare up.

I’m considering trading or selling my banjos and going back to the guitar, where I can use a standard plectrum.

5 Likes

Have you considered Clawhammer style playing? I’ve found it to be a little more forgiving on my joints. But it will still provide the same (if not more) stress on your fretting hand. Just an idea. Good luck with the challenge—I’m starting to face those limitations as well. Take care.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve heard that clawhammer is a little more bearable on the picking hand. And that works, because I like old time playing just as well as bluegrass picking, though I hate to have to pick between them (harharhar). If the limitations ever become insurmountable, I may start over on the fiddle or some other instrument. Thanks for your input.

4 Likes

I’ve been in some form of maintenance and working with my hands for 40+ years. The last 5 years have been driving a mouse more than I care to. Some days my hands are not as nimble as I would like. Here is some advice for the young uns. Don’t use the hands as a hammer. Wear a quality work glove when appropriate. I have found a CBD cream at my local health food store that helps with inflammation and discomfort. 8 months ago I cut out sugar and most junk food. I think that has helped every joint in my body. Take care and good luck.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ve decided to stick to flatpicking guitar for a while–just bought a new Martin! I will return to banjo someday if my joints allow it.

2 Likes