Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Are you interested in performing in a no prize contest?

:rofl: I might have to create some forum accounts to vote on behalf of my deceased relativesā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m in. I put in my .02 on Markā€™s poll, but honestly it doesnā€™t matter to me. However yā€™all decide to do this will be fine with me.

2 Likes

ā€œCripple Creekā€ was just a suggestion. Since there is no prize but personal satisfaction & a swell title, maybe letting folks pick the one they are most comfortable would encourage showmanship as well musical skill.

I wonder how Ted Mack handled this with The Original Amateur Hour?

" The show lasted on radio until 1952 and until 1970 on television, where it ran on all four major networks, ending as a Sunday afternoon staple. A success in the early days of television, the program set the stage for numerous programs seeking talented stars, from The Gong Show to Star Search to American Idol to Americaā€™s Got Talent.
Winners who went on to show business careers included singers Gladys Knight, Ann-Margret, Pat Boone, Raul Julia, Teresa Brewer & Irene Cara."

2 Likes

I would recomend not overthinking it. Thatā€™s the reason most of these kinds of project have stalled; because open democracy in making decisions doesnā€™t make decisions.

8 Likes

Totally agree. I say we see what the consensus is after a couple of days of discussion and then lock it in.

6 Likes

I just found this thread but it sounds like a great idea to me! Iā€™ll definitely be entering if I can find the time. I agree with @Dragonslayer about a contest where you choose your own song, but that can come later. Iā€™m excited to see where this goes!

6 Likes

To your point, I knew Iā€™d never be able to pull it off with a proper Eef, but I could successfully record little snips, plus it presented an opportunity and a goal for multi-track recording and video editing. For those who choose to participate in this CC contest, these same opportunities could be presented.

@Mark_Rocka, your win was well deserved! I was just very flattered my entry made it into the finals at all.

Even though I didnā€™t win first place in the Eefing Contest, @Jake did bestow a title on me as, ā€œThe William Shatner of Eefingā€, and frankly Iā€™m as proud of that as any other bragging rights I could have ever expected. The bragging rights last a lot longer than the prize money ever can anyway. :blush:

(William Shatner wasnā€™t a real star ship captain, but he certainly entertained me when he played one on TV! ):grinning:

7 Likes

He wasnā€™t a real Star Ship Captain?

2 Likes

That was classic! Those guys had me rolling with their comments, and then you pulled out the jaw harp and I just lost it!

And you know, Iā€™ve been called Marky Mark ever since he and his Funky Bunch came on the scene (Iā€™m betting you have too) but thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve ever been called Mark y Mark. :laughing:

5 Likes

Michael, but to avoid trouble you might also want to do this. When/before you do that, Get out of your base in the middle of the night and shout out the magical passphrase as loud as you can.

[No one knows this magical encrypted key so this is only between us - ā€œAmkc msr, kyl!ā€. For decryption, fast forward each letter by 2 letter.]

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

Is the winnerā€™s chosen from 3 categories ?
Banjoā€¦ Guitarā€¦ Mandolinā€¦

1 Like

I guess it depends on how many places are winners. IF there is a 1st, 2nd & 3rd, that means 9 ā€œwinnersā€ if we do all three instruments at the same time. Strikes me as a bit unwieldy.
I could go for the mando contest first, then a guitar contest in a few months and a banjo contest in a couple more months, (after Iā€™ve had all this extra time to practice. :smirk:)
And I see no reason why a guitar player couldnā€™t vote for their favorite mando player, who could vote in the banjo contest.

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking, at least for this first contest, we should open it up to all instruments and all skill levels. Criteria will just be something like ā€œMost entertaining.ā€

We probably wonā€™t have nearly as many entries as Ben gets because Ben advertises his contests on multiple platforms and weā€™re just doing it here on the forum.

I donā€™t see a need for more than 1 prize, whether thatā€™s bragging rights or an actual prize.

4 Likes

can i advertise for this contest? more precisely I am following a little boy on yt (porter) who might like to take part ā€¦

5 Likes

Seems like actual prizes can make the contest unwieldy. Why not ask Ben if he can add a new badge, something like ā€œpeopleā€™s choice.ā€ That way, those people that are interested in accumulating the badges will have something to show for their effort. Kind of like a banana republicā€™s generalisimo dictatorā€™s uniform. Some of these guys are such good pickers that they had to put medals on their pants!

7 Likes

Sure! The more the merrier!

2 Likes

First, LOL!!! That pic is awesome!

Second, that seems like a great idea! I donā€™t know what it would take to actually create a new badge. My guess is that Ben would have to pay to have that coded into the board, in which case, itā€™d be cheaper to just give out a prize. Iā€™ll ask him after the weekend dies down. Theyā€™re having their General Store Grand Opening today.

6 Likes

@Mark_Rocka & @The_Mole, Heā€™s already got some badges, and theyā€™re available in the General Store!

Badges

3 Likes

LOL! Nice! Just imagine the reverence youā€™d get walking around cabin camp with one of those on! :laughing:

4 Likes