Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Are there lessons missing?

You may notice that some lessons available long ago are now missing from the site. Why is that? Long story short, I had posted some songs that were copyrighted (I’ll Fly Away, I Saw the Light, Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Dueling Banjos, etc.). Though I wasn’t charging for them, I learned that it was still illegal for me to present them as lessons.

However, I went to great lengths and expense in 2017 to secure licenses for many of these titles and will begin to teach them in 2018. Please note that by law all users of the site must pay a one-time licensing fee to unlock the lesson, even if you’re a monthly, annual, or Lifetime Gold Pick member. The licensing fee for members will be vastly lower (as low as I can legally make it) than those who want to purchase the lesson without a Gold Pick membership.

The copyrighted content will be referred to as premium content while all other Gold Pick lessons referred to as member content. I’m excited to soon bring you some of the most popular songs to pick!

9 Likes

I had wondered about that and am glad to see we’ll have access to it again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where is the old version od Intro to Melodics ? … It used to be in the beginning banjo section.

Here you go Tom… @BanjoBen upgraded it to the Intermediate Learning Track
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/introduction-to-melodic-banjo-banjo?from_track=intermediate-banjo-learning-track

Keep in mind that you can type keywords into the search bar on the lesson page and it will filter the lessons. Thanks!

1 Like

Where did the old rugged cross go?

It’s copyrighted. Send me an email and I’ll get you the tabs.

Thank you.
I would not have thought it would be copyrighted since it’s such an old gospel song. I thank you in advance for the tabs. I really found your Israel trip to be interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing
Thank you
Gordon
Gordon. Arras@gmail.com

2 Likes

Ben I teach banjo and guitar and I recommend your site to all my students. Even though I turn them onto you and they enjoy your help I haven’t lost one student because of it. I tell them you use all resources for learn but let me see what they’re using because all resources might not be helpful.
With that said I need some of your lessons that you took down how do I buy the license for that material.
Love your work and teaching skills buddy.
McRoy Gardner
Lenoir NC

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words, support of the site, and the referrals! I have the licenses for some but not all, and I’m waiting on some more technical development to be able to offer them on the site. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Hi Ben with that in mind is the song done by Earl. Nashville blues fall into this licensing fee I think you could do a killer job on this song and i would gladly pay you later for a song today

1 Like

Hi Ben, could you please add Foggy Mountain Top? The Three Pickers had a great version,

1 Like

How does that work for those who teach lessons like Foggy mountain breakdown for free on youtube? I’ve seen several. I take it they are breaching copyright then.

You can do the audio only on YouTube now, but you cannot make money from it or offer tabs (giveaway or for sale) or use a copyrighted material to draw or coax people to a site where you give/sell products.

Ben,
Have you started posting any of the Licensed songs yet? I would like to have some of the up the neck tabs for Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

1 Like

I haven’t yet, but since you’re a Gold Pick member, send me an email and I’ll get you the tabs: Ben@banjobenclark.com

1 Like

Ben
Is church street blues one of those? I saw a link on the site once before I became a member but can’t locate it now. Any help? RexW.

Hey Rex! Ben’s on vacation this week, but if you send him an email to ben@banjobenclark.com I’m sure he’ll send you the tabs if he’s created them in the past.

It would be cool if you did some Don Reno like Remington Ride.