Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Aquaponic Gardening

Happy Easter! Hope everyone is safe and healthy, and following the social distancing the best you can.

Recently, I’ve been dabbling in aquaponic gardening. Fish and plants in a symbiotic relationship. Life in the apocolypse, ya know?

This is my small indoor garden. It’s what known as a flood and drain type system. Planning to scale up over time, as I learn more.

Aquaponics

6 Likes

Wow that’s pretty cool!

2 Likes

Interesting @Treblemaker

2 Likes

Watching with great interest. point__laugh

What are your growing and what are you using for plant nutrients obvious nothing too strong to effect the fish.

2 Likes

We are doing a small 3 pod hydroponic garden. 2 basil plants and 1 cherry tomato. They grow pretty fast. I love the idea of aquaponics and it looks like your plants are doing great! Must be something in the water. haha

3 Likes

Hey Archie,

The fish waste is what supplies the nutrients for the plants. I have a strawberry, banana pepper, and peppermint plant.

Nitrites from the fish waste turn into nitrates for the plants. The plants help in keeping the fish tank clean and keeping ammonia levels down.

Also, I’m using hydroton clay pebbles for the grow bed which help hold the nutrients.

4 Likes

Cool. Keep us posted on how it’s going.

2 Likes