Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

April 2022 Cabin Camp After-Action Reports

(Any of us military types would understand “after action report”…everyone else can call it “What I Did at Band Camp”! LoL)

Well, after a 715 mile drive up from Nashville I’m exhausted…but before I go to bed I just wanted to start this thread and let the world know that this Cabin Camp that I just finished was easily the most amazing musical experience I have ever had. I’ll probably add more later but I just wanted to send accolades to Ben, his staff and family for the outstanding event this is. From a smile and “Hi Ron” as I walked up to the registration table to the cool gear bag, the great shop and support staff, the food, the instruction and the entertainment….everything was top-notch. As I drove home today I kept dictating notes to Siri about stuff I learned about and need to write down (so I don’t forget) and put into practice (so I can improve my skills). I’m also going to start digging around my local area for some jam groups or like-minded peopl. who just want to get together periodically and play. I was so uptight on the first night’s jam session that I didn’t want to take any breaks but the instructors in the jam “gently” made me. After the 2nd day of camp full of lessons, practice, etc., I was eager to get in there and try some stuff. (This was an objective of mine…to get smarter about improvising and gain confidence in doing so.) But…the bottom line is that this Cabin Camp is an experience you just have to do. I met a LOT of cool people, several who were Cabin Camp “veterans”, people who’d been before and came back again (and again!)

Well, I’m about to fall off this stool at the house so I’d better get to bed. Oh, and for all of my fellow campers please stay in touch here or you can find me on Facebook…I’d love to stay in touch with as many of you as I can and follow along your musical escapades.

Ciao for Now!
Ron

16 Likes

It WAS a great time, wasn’t it?

1 Like

@ScubaNut2014 Despite the fact that you completely threw me under the bus as I was trying to provide a kind “wish you were here” to my wife, I enjoyed getting to know you a little. Your comments about camp are on point and indicative of each camp I’ve been to. If you make your way up to the Indianapolis area, I’m not too hard to find.

@Buckeye I’m sorry I caused you so much trouble with your wife. Had you told her you were on a business trip? Oops!

It was nice to get to know you a bit and chat a bit. I look forward to seeing you in another camp. If I find myself near Indianapolis I’ll let you know!

1 Like

Oh yeah!

It was so fun picking with you Ron!

@ScubaNut2014 what was Laurie’s last name?

1 Like

I wish I knew! Perhaps I can ask @aliciabowman89 to ask Laurie to try to find us on Facebook….would love to stay conneted.

1 Like

I agree. You play banjo well and I enjoyed our practice sessions! Hope to pick with you at another camp.

1 Like

Great to meet you to Ron, hope we get to meet up again, I also have to take a couple days to absorb everything we did….I enjoyed picking with you, and everyone there. I enjoyed band 6 as much as anything….you sounded and performed great! Glad we are now friends , may the Lord continue to bless us with our health, and we serve him in all we do.

2 Likes

Yes it would be great to get Laurie and Jeff’s info, I enjoyed our time at practice as well, take care!

Mornin’, Gary! Yep…camp was a blast and I enjoyed Band 6 a lot! One of the things I knew about going to camp was that many of us had never played with others…so I really enjoyed the back and forth you, @Bcaves, the guitar guy (sorry never really got his name down pat) and Laurie had as we put together our two songs. In highsight we could probably have played Amazing Grace in D and I’d have had less trouble with the high notes…and to be honest I haven’t sang in front of a group like that EVER! The song you brought with to play was fun to learn and fun to figure out a solo. I thought you did a great job singing it and Laurie’s harmony in the chorus was sweet! Brandon and the guitar guy did great too. All in all, as I have said already, it was an amazing experience. I plan to attend again about the same time next year.

Well, it’s another “Saturday”….when you are retired every day is Saturday, except Sunday. Technically it might be Friday but, well, let’s see? Yep, think so. Better go pack up my gear and head to the gym! I thank God for my good health so I want to to my part to keep the body He gave me in decent shape. Besides, we are heading to Portugal on Wednesday and next week I’ll be bicycling them there hills…gotta stay conditioned! Have a great weekend….stay in touch!

5 Likes

Jeffrey Frechette was our other guitarist. I tried to friend him on Facebook but it wouldn’t give me the option to friend him for some reason.

He probably had already blocked you.

1 Like

Thanks, Brandon. I’ll see if I can befriend him…

Wow…There are so many people with that name I can’t pick him out. I regret not interacting with him more in our band. I never talked with him outside our band practice…my bad!

Is there a back story there or are you just ribbin’ Brandon? After all, he DOES play a banjo LoL

I’m just messing with him

2 Likes

Favorite key among guitarists for banjo players to play… B gone

4 Likes

And of course I’m just messing too!

2 Likes