Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Apollo 50th

OK, so we all know Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon.

Who was the last? And be careful. It’s actually debatable.

2 Likes

Was that Gene Cernan?

3 Likes

You have my attention :thinking: (that is a thinking emoji)

I’m with Jono, but eager to learn.

1 Like

Apollo 17, with Commander Gene Cernan and Harrison (Jack) Schmitt in the Lunar Module, having landed on the moon, Gene got out first and then Jack got out, making him the 12th and final man to set foot on the moon. So, Jack Schmitt is often credited with being the “last man to walk on the moon”.

However, when they boarded the LM for the last time, Jack boarded first, then Gene boarded, making him the last man to leave a footprint on the moon and for that reason, Gene always argued, with good nature, that he was the last man to walk on the moon, and he is often credited with being “the last man on the moon”. It’s all about semantics I reckon.

This is unrelated. I remember Gene on a talk show years ago telling a story about a cocktail party he had attended some years prior. As often happens at such events, cliques form, primarily separated by gender and most of the men were standing around in a circle with drinks in hand and they eventually started telling stories. As time passed and the story telling baton passed from one fella to another, the stories got taller and taller as they tend to do. Gene had realized early in the evening that most of these folks didn’t know who he was and that was fine with him and he had been enjoying the anonymity.

As each guy tried to top the last story, they eventually went beyond the believable and some of the guys started calling them out. Gene remained quiet during all this, but eventually, all eyes came to him. It was his turn. He didn’t want to do it, but he just couldn’t resist he said. Out of his mouth came “well, one day when I was walking on the moon…”. They all went silent, as one by one they started to realize who he was. They laughed, some awkwardly, and realized they’d all been topped and rendered appropriate props.

4 Likes

That’s a great story. Yes, I’m with Gene (sadly now passed) I can remember his speech where he was saying about taking his last steps on the surface, so I always class him as the last man on the moon. :wink:

2 Likes

Wonderful reading the stories and seeing the pictures! Before entering High School, I had the fortune to be picked to meet Apollo/Gemni astronauts in a Chicagoland school program. I believe Dr Aldrin was one, but I’m not certain. At that time my uncle was in Palo Alto and responsible for calculating orbits and knowing I was fascinated by the subject got me a set of photographic slides taken in one of the Gemni missions. Years later on the moon landing evening, I audiotaped the the live broadcast and still have that tape. :alien:

5 Likes

Alright, its all set to go (India’s unmanned moon mission Chandrayaan-2) on July 22, 2:43 pm IST. :slight_smile:

Has recruitment of the new US Space Force begun? I am curious to see their uniforms and space tanks. That’s assuming they will actually venture into space.

I can read about this Apollo 11 and Space Program stuff all day long!

Thanks everyone for your stories and contributions.

Is there still any Millennial “Haters” who still doubt we went at all? :thinking:

Also, I saw a program last night that also mentioned that there was a parallel mission sent by Russia… UNMANNED… but tried to go (launched just days before the USA launch on July 16th, 1969), land, extract rocks/dust and return… all scheduled to beat the timing of the Americans.

The ship is presumed to have crashed on the Lunar surface.

Funny that I wasn’t aware of ever hearing about it until now.

They did show footage of broadcasters discussing this as news in 1969 - but it seems the Russians were more secretive about releasing details of their mission.

Could it be they were pessimistic about the outcome and thus, more protective to release news?

I wonder if Russians were aware and as engaged in following their country’s attempt in '69?

I am also amazed that the astronauts themselves only gave themselves about 50% (2-1 odds) to return safely… and while they accepted the risk freely, their concern was not wanting to tarnish the USA politically with a failed attempt that would also cripple the Space Program too.

2 Likes

Actually, Neil Armstrong was asked what he thought about all the conspiracy folks that believe that the Apollo mission was faked in Hollywood. He famously replied: “I don’t worry about it, because I know that eventually, someone will go back to the moon and they’ll find my camera that I dropped onto the lunar surface”. Apparently, the Apollo Astronauts only kept the film and dumped anything with extra weight before blasting off the lunar surface. Interesting thought from the first man on the moon!

3 Likes

I don’t know what’s more troubling, the people who think the moon landing is fake, or those who believe the movie “The Martian” is based on a true story.

3 Likes

You CAN’T be serious…

I wish I wasn’t. I’ve seen posts like these.

1 Like

Even more weird… if it is the same people!

Ah… those Conspiricy Theorists are quite a group!

3 Likes

I can’t see how people think “The Martian” is based on a true story. It isn’t a documentary like my favorite Mars movie: “Mars attacks!”

4 Likes

I’ve got no time for the moon conspiracy theorists. I’m sorry but they annoy me so much. They make claims without any knowledge at all. One person today wrote that the moon landing was a hoax because who filmed Neil coming down the ladder! :roll_eyes:
Then soon as you explain about how Neil opened the swing down camera as he came down the ladder, they come up with another ridiculous claim!
The only thing I find a hoax is that these people actually have a brain. :rofl:

1 Like

On a lighter note… Do you think we should send @BanjoBen to the moon in 2024? First Banjo played on the moon. :wink::joy:

1 Like

No way, we need banjo Ben to stay down to earth :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Well I know Ben likes flying but he would probably think that’s a little too far I guess :rofl:

1 Like

Which brings up the eternal question…

If a banjo is played on the Lunar surface, would it make a sound (lunar surface has no true atmosphere - only an exosphere of thin gases)?

Inquiring minds want to know… :thinking:

2 Likes