Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Apollo 50th

Oh now clap your hands
And sing with me
It’s a happy day
sompin sompthin…

Bob Braun got his start on that show.
I grew up in Ohio.

Sorry… But I only know the shoe salesman with 2 kids - kelly and bud - but never knew he played on the banjo! :slight_smile:

Btw, breaking news… India’s second moon mission postponed…

2 Likes

I didn’t know that about Bob Braun… According to Wikipedia, George Clooney’s first T.V. appearance was on The Uncle Al show.

Where in Ohio did you grow up?

George Clooney, I did not know that.

I grew up in Chillicothe, about an hour due south of Columbus. Cincinnati was a two hour drive back then, it doesn’t take that long now. A bit of useless information - Chillicothe was the first capitol of Ohio. And the third. Yeah, it went another town and then back to Chillicothe and eventually to Columbus.

I didn’t either until I found out Mike has an Uncle Al. I started looking things up and one thing led to another!

I have a couple customers in Chilicothe. There’s also a huge Kenworth truck plant there.

Interesting about the capitols… Thanks!

1 Like

Fascinating!

2 Likes

I didn’t know India had been to the moon. Are these manned or unmanned missions?

Unmanned. :+1:

1 Like

Ok cool. As long as they aren’t leaving curry up there… :joy::joy: actually, I like curry so…

Gunnar, To tell the truth, unmanned! :wink:

Well, at least it sounds like it is better than the date of the Israelite recent disappointing mission:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-47879538&ved=2ahUKEwjcjqrU-bbjAhVFJ80KHS1vAGIQFjAEegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1nLESTsSN6RiZt9ItNBeBO&ampcf=1

Does this mean that Miss Maggie is a Buckeye?

1 Like

Well, in the sense that I’m from Ohio and buckeyes are an Ohio thing, but not as in Ohio State Buckeyes. I went to Ohio University in Athens. I considered State but when I realized I’d have to take buses to get to my next class, I said no. That’s too big. Ohio U, is nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains on the Hocking River and was the first college in the old Northwest Territory. Much more my style.

Whew… That was a close call… since I am a Wolverine.

I MUCH prefer the Bobcats (I know… Big shocker, right?) :shushing_face::wink:

1 Like

Happy launch day!

2 Likes

As a 9-year old, I too, watched in awe as Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon in 1969. Fast forward about 20-years to 1990, imagine my amazement when I found myself renting a farmhouse in Wapakoneta Ohio from…you guessed it. Neil Armstrong himself. Neil was born in the farmhouse my wife & I rented outside of “Wapak” (as the residents in Wapakoneta call it). Neil owed the old homestead with his sister June and brother Dean. We wrote a check to Neil Armstrong Et Al every month for a very reasonable fee and corresponded back and forth with Neil. He was a very humble and down to earth soul. Below is one of the many letters we received from Neil and shows a little bit of his humor in it. Interestingly, Neil would rather talk about old farm tractors than anything to do with Spaceflight and wanted nothing to do with fame or being in the spotlight. Just a humble guy living on his farm in Lebanon he called “Rivendell”.

Happy Picking All!

Photo of Neil A Armstrong’s Birthplace on Washington Pike, Wapakoneta, OH where we lived for a number of years. Good sturdy home with slate shingles.
OurHomeOnWashingtonPike

Birthplace.of.Neil.A.Armstrong.pdf (284.2 KB)

8 Likes

Wow, that is so neat, what a great story and memory to pass on. Thanks for sharing that Neil.

1 Like

@Deere_Crossing, I guess then you are a sort of celebrity by connection! :slight_smile: Wow. (I can’t forget Lebanon, OH in a different way.)

1 Like

Wow, what an amazing story and lovely to have some letters from the great man. I don’t think Neil, Buzz, and Mike were prepared at all for becoming so famous and I think it was quite a difficult period after returning from the moon. Neil as you say was a quiet kind of guy and as Mike Collins said, he wouldn’t look to be in the spotlight, but when a microphone was thrust his way he became a great spokesperson for the three of them.
It’s a great shame he is not still with us for the 50th. I think he would have enjoyed the renewed interest of the celebration.

1 Like