Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Anyone Been To A Wernick Jam Camp?

With summer coming so comes the festival season, and with that several Wernick Method Jam Camps and Jam Classes are popping up within a 4 hour drive of where I live.
a) Has anyone attended a Wernick Method Jam Camp or Class?
2) Is a stand-alone 2 hour class worth a 4-hour drive twice?

To be honest, I’m looking at some festivals, like Grey Fox, but I’m much more interested in the jamming than watching stage acts, even though Grey Fox has some of the best!

The second part is the festival itself. I’m 68 years old, have spent the last 30 years wilderness canoe camping in the Adirondacks. There have been many wonderful times with my old wood stripper Prospector.

I pretty much had my turn at sleeping in a tent, getting up in the rain, freezing at night & roasting during the day, packing & unpacking all the camping gear plus food and being eaten alive by bugs. The idea of sitting in a hay field, rain or shine, has lost some of its allure, too. And don’t forget the long hikes back to the car because “someone” forgot that one special item. I won’t mention the pills the doctor has me taking. Let’s just say the porta-john isn’t as close as is convenient.
I realize it’s all part of the wonderful festival experience, with new friends and new experiences, but these old bones will have to be way out in the wilderness before they sleep on the ground again. Getting off the ground ain’t what it used to be!
And, no, I’m not going to buy a camper. I use my money for $40 thumb picks. :wink:

5 Likes

Interesting you should ask this question @BanJoe, because I was wondering the exact same thing. The few times I’ve had the opportunity to join in on a jam session has been a total train wreck (from my perspective). Playing along with Ben’s recordings from within the safety of my own home is a far cry from sitting trying to play along with a room full of strangers without tabs or having practiced that exact tune…and I’m afraid of losing a $40 thumb pick in a hayfield (that’s what a clown barf is for! :wink: )

That’s a beautiful canoe on the lake photo!

3 Likes

Thanks, but your eyes have deceived you. The canoe is actually on the beach. What you see is the sky reflected in the water.

1 Like

Yeah, that messed with my eyes for a little bit.

2 Likes

I’ve been to two Wernick camps, both taught by Larry Kernagis. These were Friday evening thru Sunday afternoon workshops.

It was worth the money for me. You will be put on the spot several times, but it’s a safe environment and you’ll become more comfortable jamming with others. Larry’s motto is “Dare to Suck” and I did that several times. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m at the point, I think, if I don’t play with others soon I may never learn how to play.
I don’t mind being “put on the spot.” I have screwed up publicly on so many occasions it’s kinda become normal for me!

2 Likes

I went to one of Pete’s camps, also taught by Larry Kernagis. I was very disappointed. Wouldn’t attend another. BUT there was only 5 of us there. 4 for banjo.
Maybe it has gotten better. One thing for sure it doesn’t hold a candle to Ben’s camp

4 Likes

Four out of five banjos would suck. We had a nice assortment of guitars, banjos, mandolins, bass and one fiddle. Right, it doesn’t hold a candle to Ben’s, but it’s a different curriculum, it’s all jamming as opposed to lots of teaching and “some” jamming.

4 Likes

I don’t doubt that for a minute! Ben has a lot of “personality” I haven’t noticed in the Wernick camps (promotional material only, as I have not had the opportunity to attend either.)
And without a full compliment of instruments, I’m sure it would be difficult to get things to sound right.
But I also think this may be an apples-to-oranges comparison, with both camps having different goals.
Right now I am aching to play with others & there’s nobody around that I know of, so I am totally ignorant of what the experience is like.
For example, I do not have any idea of what it sounds like. If I try to play along with a recorded song, I can turn the volume up, or I can turn it down, but I cannot tune it to the same loudness as a live group simply because I do not know how loud that is!
Virtual is fine, but it’s tough to beat the real deal.

2 Likes

Wernick’s camp was teaching with little jamming. It is just my opinion. I’m not trying to put anyone down. An opinion was asked and I gave my experience. Sorry if I offended anyone.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing @ChrisWms and @lonewolf223! I agree that Ben’s camps are awesome, and I’m looking forward to attending again! I’ve been so fortunate to be able to attend one every year (except 2022, so far) and I highly recommend them to anyone reading this.

Maybe he (@BanjoBen) might consider trying a camp specifically aimed at at jamming and playing with others (hint, hint). I have no idea what all this would require, but I’d bet he and his sisters (& company) could devise a solid curriculum given enough time! :wink:

5 Likes

I can’t speak for everyone, but since I asked for an opinion and you gave an honest one, I’m as happy as can be! :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah I could see his ad for his first jammin camp…“boys and girls come to my first all “jammin” nudie camp…we goin TABless. Bring nut’n but your instrument, ears and a smile. We be jammin at my place.” Sign me up (haha).

4 Likes

I will totally conceive that and launch it in 2023, thanks! I do wrestle with the balance of instruction vs. jamming. I try to run camps that appeal the most amount of people, and I also have learned even this year that some folks desire to do more jamming than time allows.

I haven’t released details yet, but I’m doing a camp this fall in Nashville that is different than any before. It’s a band camp with a focus on how to be a successful bandmate. There is focus on how to play, yeah, but it’s much more. We’ll have sessions on groove/pocket, how to arrange songs, how to write a setlist, how to get gigs, how to record and choose a studio, how to get on the radio, and how to get a record deal. Each session will have a Nashville expert teaching it…gonna be off the charts.

13 Likes

That is exactly what I was just thinking I need… I can’t wait for these details!! I’m assuming it’s going to be taught at an advanced level?

Ben gets better at reading our minds every day…

7 Likes

Yes please. We all need more advanced stuff.

3 Likes

:rofl::banjo::rofl::banjo::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Most all the band-related stuff will be at an intermediate-advanced level. But also there will be much that is not skill level-dependent, like how to record or how to get played on radio.

6 Likes

Oh yeah, also having Skaggs’ sound guys out to teach you how to do a pro soundcheck and work with audio folks.

10 Likes