Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Any specific thoughts on when to upgrade?

I have an intermediate Gold Tone and am eyeing a “lifetime banjo” upgrade to a Deering Sierra. Guess I am an intermediate player. Wondering if there are any mileposts besides “if you want it just get it” in assessing my progress as a player before upgrading. Might sound stupid but I want to be “worthy” of it.

I say do it now. In my opinion, you’ll be more inspired than ever with a better quality instrument in your hands, and will therefore improve at a faster rate. Get the best instrument that your budget will allow. I’m certainly not “worthy” of the banjo that I’m currently playing, but I sure do enjoy playing it!

4 Likes

I agree with Spillers. If you can afford it, pull the trigger. I will say that for near the same price as a Sierra you can get a Davis banjo which will be a better banjo for the money, a lifetime banjo for sure. I don’t have any in stock right now but should soon.

6 Likes

I’ve never seen Davis banjos!

Twangers are a really good option so is bowties, Recording Kings RK series! Also Huber !

If I needed another banjo I would’ve bought this by now. Looks like a great professional banjo for the price.
https://www.banjohangout.org/classified/104574
Easily comparable to the much more expensive brands that are so similar. I have a banjo made by Tim Davis and it’s great.

2 Likes

I got my Deering Sierra for exactly the same reason. Since it was a “major decision,” I agonized & fretted over every bit of banjo minutia I could find.
Trying to compare tone on the internet was challenging, with so many variables at work. Visiting a local banjo dealer was a pipe dream. What finally sold me on the Sierra was a Jens Kruger video. By this point all banjo endorsements sounded the same, but Jens got deep into the weeds. I appreciated that. Since then I have found Deering to be extremely supportive of their customers with tons of information, how-tos, artist insights and a quality product.
The Sierra doesn’t sound like a pre-war Gibson. It sounds like a Deering. The difference is subtle & casual listeners think they both sound like a banjo.
What I can say is that the difference between playing an OK banjo and a good banjo might not strike you right away. But when you start pushing the instrument, either because you’re getting better or getting frustrated, the better instrument can take the stress.
And when you get into the zone, the better instrument will speak to you like the old one never did.
I would NOT recommend the Sierra if you are a 100% bluegrass person. IMHO, while it can handle bluegrass, it does lack a certain edge. (Pick type can help with this.) If you want to explore the neck melodically and pick a little Cripple Creek, you will love the Sierra!

1 Like

Tim Davis is making some of the best banjos out there for the money IMO. I have a Butch Robins model which is a copy of Butch’s old style 4. It’s a great banjo!

1 Like

Agree with all that. Deering are fine instruments and folks like Kristin Benson get plenty of bluegrass sounds out of them, too.

2 Likes