Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Any other harmonica players out there?

As some of you may have noticed from my Auld Lang Syne contest submission, I happen to be a harmonica player. I’ve noticed from a bit of quick forum searching that @Dragonslayer and @Hillbilly_picker also happen to play harp, but are there any others lurking around here?

5 Likes

In my youth, alas I no longer have the puff to play.

2 Likes

My grandson (11) has a harmonica and noodles around on it

2 Likes

Yeah, not as often as I should, but I do play sometimes

2 Likes

I noticed your video of Fire on the Mountain elsewhere. You’re pretty good!

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t think I can still play that, I haven’t practiced in so long, I’d probably pass out lol

I play a little bit, my best accomplishment is my foggy mountain breakdown solo.
I’m also working on a solo for angeline the baker.

1 Like

I’d love seeing/hearing you play both of those! I also play some Foggy Mountain Breakdown (both the banjo solo and the harmonica solo from Earl’s 2001 recording), and I just started playing Angeline the Baker after forgetting about that song for a while.

1 Like

I’m curious what resources people use for learning harmonica. I’m sure there are some mostly self-taught people like me, but I have stumbled upon a few bluegrass harmonica resources (most notably The Harmonica Barge by Ed Hopwood and Tony Eyers’ Harmonica Academy (he also used to run harmonicatunes.com, but that site seems to be down now (here’s the last archive on archive.org)). I could toss out one or two other videos as well, but those are the most notable sites.

EDIT: apparently harmonicatunes.com is still up after all. Maybe the site temporarily went down for maintenence? I don’t know.

2 Likes

I wish more than anything that I had recorded the jam that we had with guitar, fiddle, (banjo & harmonica me)
bass, spoons and keyboard. We played foggy mountain breakdown AND WE WERE ON FIRE. By far best jam I’ve ever played.

1 Like

I have a G C A harmonics! Had one lessone and played duets with my son years ago now. I try every once in awhile!

1 Like