Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Any Christmas Tree Farmers?

Think I’ve created a new hobbie by accident. What started out as hand planting 50 Douglas Firs turned into 1500 Noble Firs! But I think it’s a beautiful thing. Took awhile to get my soil prepped, But I’m ready to go. And what better place than the Pacific Northwest.

Bless these trees as they begin their new life cycle producing oxygen from our sunlight, and so much more for our beautiful planet. And let’s not forget to also Bless the farmers working together helping me here to make this all happen.

5 Likes

That’s cool! What kind of implement is that? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a human operated tractor implement. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Not really sure what the correct name is. I do know it’s very similar in design and engineering to what we used on our old homestead as a kid back in Southern Indiana to plant tobacco plugs.

2 Likes

Looks like a beautiful area to live.

2 Likes

Muck Farms around here use similar things with two-four seats on the back, for hand planting onions, celery, etc.

2 Likes

I worked tobacco growing up in KY, and it had a name, but I can’t remember it for sure, I think they might have called it a “planter.”

1 Like

Ha, yes, a planter. That makes sence! :joy:

You know what hard work is then. Man that was a tough and dangerous way to make a few bucks!

It was an oddity of KY law (or perhaps I was mislead :smiley:). You could work tobacco (and get paid) even if you weren’t 16. I don’t remember what the minimum age was, but it was pretty young. Twice a year, we’d get the opportunity to make money as a kid. I did it a few years. They didn’t work us too hard on planting, I don’t remember an “easy” job for cutting, but they took care of us. They probably didn’t want to deal with parents of passed out kids.

2 Likes

Yeah the adults always did the planting., Kids did all the hoeing, topping , deworming, and rafter climbing to hang it all in the barns. Oh my gosh, as a kid one year I received a sears and roebuck harmony guitar from santa. All I wanted to do was play it. But no! “You have to go out and hoe the baccer”! :rage:

1 Like

This was fun. Thinking I should do another acre!

1 Like