Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Andy Orr from Bellvue, CO!

Yes, Gunnar! Seriously. I’ll let you know.

2 Likes

Hi Will,
We lived in Roseville, Michigan when I got my very first guitar. I used to walk to the Macomb Mall on Gratiot and Masonic, I believe. The mall is still there. The music store is not. They went bankrupt years ago.

We had moved a little further out to Mt Clemens when I answered an ad in the Free Press for a used Twin Reverb - it was a silver face but no one called them that back then. This would have been 1978. The amp was a 67/68 non master volume. The good one! My slightly older bandmate drove me to the east side of Detroit to see the amp. I didn’t have a drivers license yet.

The gentleman that opened the door was small and strong looking. He was very friendly. He said “Hi, I’m Eddie”. I said I was Andy. He said, “We have the same name!”

He invited me in and led me up to a finished attic with a single dormer window. The attic had bright, light colored wood floors. He pulled back a curtain room divider and there were at least 15 amps sitting behind the curtain. It was quite the visual. I can still see it clearly in my mind.

He pulled down the Twin, plugged it in and played a few riffs. He was obviously really good. I asked why he had so many amps. He said he played with the Spinners and started playing the jangly intro to “It’s a Shame”, I was amazed. I said “You play with the “Rubber Band Man” Spinners?” He said, “Well, I did. I play with a lot of people.” He handed me the guitar. I fudged a few basic Chuck Berry blues licks. He encouraged me to keep going. I started playing some Rolling Stones riffs and he was smiling. He said, “Yeah, that’s it! That’s your amp, man!” I paid him the $250 and carried the amp out to the car. I didn’t know who he was at the time but as the legend of Motown grew, I saw him on TV and said, “That’s the guy I bought my amp from!” Classic Detroit.

6 Likes

Bhive,
I’m pretty sure it was this one. https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/yamaha-fg820-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar-natural?_pos=4&_sid=bcb7d560b&_ss=r

3 Likes

Is anyone else curious what the upside down mandolin sounds like?

2 Likes

LOL - it’s a guitar, right? :rofl:

1 Like
4 Likes

That mando looks guitar sized on Sierra.

1 Like