Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Andy Orr from Bellvue, CO!

TLDR!

LOL!
Good to hear from my friends!

2 Likes

It’s my favorite place to visit! If you need any help in planning a White Rim trip, please don’t hesitate to ask.

1 Like

Thanks Andy! We are due for another trip. Maybe Spring or Fall (when everyone else is there). Speaking of biking, we just got in from the chilly December weather (maybe 75 degrees?) It was awesome.

2 Likes

@Michael_Mark is only really rude to his friends, I for one enjoyed the very insightful profile :joy::joy:

4 Likes

I might have to make Michael Mark pick up the lunch tab the next time I’m in sunny Deland. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I would like to know what Yahama he was talking about.

3 Likes

I did the White Rim a couple years ago with some friends from work, and we are doing it again in April. Love that place!

2 Likes

gif Andy on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member. That’s some War and Peace of a story. I had to wait till today to find time to sit and read it through.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Congrats on being the GPOTW! Thanks for sharing and letting us get to know you a little. :grinning:

(You put a lot of thought and effort into this, and it shows!)

3 Likes

Next time you do this can I come?

3 Likes

@andyorrguitar,

A belated congrats on your GPotW award! Well deserved, I see…

I’m so curious about your experiences and I really enjoyed your stories! I’m curious to know of your experiences with that Detroit connection. Did you live in SE Michigan for a time? Was that mall you spoke of in Michigan? If so, what was the name? I live up here in the Enchanted Mitten. I spent 6 years in the USAF assigned to the historic 8th Air Force, 2nd Bombardment Wing - but don’t hold that against me… Mr. 3rd Infantry. :slight_smile: Thank you for your service.

Can’t beat the Funk Brothers connection! Masters… in their own right! Also, I was intrigued by your heritage… and wondered if you ever try to play any Scottish tunes - or do you just stick to Bluegrass? Oh… Alison Krauss’ new Album with Robert Plant… have you heard it?

Also, really interested in your Camp Experiences… so cool.

Drop a line sometime… and Congrats again.

3 Likes

Well done, Andy! Your story motivates me to play more often. I find myself getting involved in my “day job” and not spending enough time pickin’. I’ve been a lifetime member for several years and enjoy every minute of the lessons on all 3 instruments.
Gary, Colorado Springs

2 Likes

Yes, Gunnar! Seriously. I’ll let you know.

2 Likes

Hi Will,
We lived in Roseville, Michigan when I got my very first guitar. I used to walk to the Macomb Mall on Gratiot and Masonic, I believe. The mall is still there. The music store is not. They went bankrupt years ago.

We had moved a little further out to Mt Clemens when I answered an ad in the Free Press for a used Twin Reverb - it was a silver face but no one called them that back then. This would have been 1978. The amp was a 67/68 non master volume. The good one! My slightly older bandmate drove me to the east side of Detroit to see the amp. I didn’t have a drivers license yet.

The gentleman that opened the door was small and strong looking. He was very friendly. He said “Hi, I’m Eddie”. I said I was Andy. He said, “We have the same name!”

He invited me in and led me up to a finished attic with a single dormer window. The attic had bright, light colored wood floors. He pulled back a curtain room divider and there were at least 15 amps sitting behind the curtain. It was quite the visual. I can still see it clearly in my mind.

He pulled down the Twin, plugged it in and played a few riffs. He was obviously really good. I asked why he had so many amps. He said he played with the Spinners and started playing the jangly intro to “It’s a Shame”, I was amazed. I said “You play with the “Rubber Band Man” Spinners?” He said, “Well, I did. I play with a lot of people.” He handed me the guitar. I fudged a few basic Chuck Berry blues licks. He encouraged me to keep going. I started playing some Rolling Stones riffs and he was smiling. He said, “Yeah, that’s it! That’s your amp, man!” I paid him the $250 and carried the amp out to the car. I didn’t know who he was at the time but as the legend of Motown grew, I saw him on TV and said, “That’s the guy I bought my amp from!” Classic Detroit.

6 Likes

Bhive,
I’m pretty sure it was this one. https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/yamaha-fg820-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar-natural?_pos=4&_sid=bcb7d560b&_ss=r

3 Likes

Is anyone else curious what the upside down mandolin sounds like?

2 Likes

LOL - it’s a guitar, right? :rofl:

1 Like
4 Likes

That mando looks guitar sized on Sierra.

1 Like