Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Amputated tip of the left middle finger-Guitar

HelloA couple years ago I cur the top join off my left middle finger. I have been working to get mobility back and desensitize the finger. I want to play contemporary worship and lead guitar. Is there any guidance or information on this site that might help me get going in the right direction on this sight or in the lessons?

Don

8 Likes

Here you go…I hope you find this inspiring. Play on brother!

http://www.openculture.com/2015/07/how-django-reinhardt-after-losing-two-fingers-developed-an-innovative-style.html#:~:text=In%20the%20clip%20above%20from,so%20inspired%20by%20his%20story.

7 Likes

Hello Don,

I at first thought my post might be intrusive but then of course you have raised the question. I see @Treblemaker has linked to django reinhardt but another route may be Open Tuning works OPEN G springs to mind and you may work out if you can use a slide on the middle finger. Unusual perhaps but keep thinking keep talking Don.

You could play a lot of songs out of OPEN G in a workable Key.

Good luck

7 Likes

Oh man! So do you think you will regain mobility and desensitize it? I don’t think I have any lessons specifically geared toward that over other lessons…I would think most any lesson would help with the mobility and feeling. Keep us posted!

2 Likes

A similar thing happened to me—I actually cut off the tip of my LH ring finger, about 1/3 of that last joint. It healed many years ago but the tip of that finger is pretty much scar tissue that will never develop a callu, so that fingertip is always a little tender. I have learned to substiture my little finger f
or the ring finger and it now works perfectly well. In the situations where a full chord is a must I can go ahead and fret it with that hand using the ring finger and it works ok. I couldn’t’t use that ring finger like that a lot but occasioally. The song New Camptown Races comes to mind where at one place a full G shape is required and I go ahead and fret the D string with that ring finger and it works well. There are a couple of other places where the only way to do it is to just go ahead and use that ring finger, and as an occasional thing I can do it, I rarely even think about it anymore. Django Reinhardt had all his left hand fingers burnt off and he is the #1 Gypsy jazz guitar player in the world! So I can’t complain.

2 Likes

That middle finger gets used a lot, but don’t give up there are alternate fingerings for all chords!