Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Am I Normal or Nuts?

I am trying very hard to play “John Henry in G” in the Beginner’s track. Oh sure, I can play it at 160 bpm or better when I’m glued to the TEF file, but the trouble is when I play it with the backing tracks.
The first part is spot on, no complaints, it’s real good. Then you are supposed to simply repeat the first part, and this is where the wheels fall off. For some reason my mind (or my fingers) want to toss in slides and play more of a melody. It’s like the Earl version is so deeply embedded in my brain it wants to crawl out and crush this other John Henry.
I call this part “going around the curve.” I’m driving along, doing fine, gliding through one or two S curves, then when I have to do it again, the wheels fall off and I careen out of control.
I can play it the first time, but cannot seem to play the exact same thing just one more time. It should be easy!
Am I nuts, or is this normal?

3 Likes

Hi @BanJoe If it’s any consolation I struggle to play along with the mp3 tracks. The only time I was successful in doing so was the RK Banjo contest, I printed out the tab so I was able to follow along.

I prefer to play along with the TEF files. Strange as it may seem I don’t read the TAB whilst playing the TEF file but stay focused by listening.

5 Likes

" stay focused by listening."

How I wish! Something scrambles in my brain if I try that and my “inner” ear mixes with what my real ear hears, then my fingers go down that wrong road.

It also makes me a bad dancer. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hey BanJoe I’ve been workin on the same tune . I tried doing it the same as you with similar results until last night. I had a session with my face to face instructor and she and I played it together ( with the same instrument Banjo to Banjo) and it was almost flawless!!! I don’t know why but it seemed to just come together ,maybe the interaction with another musician for a change or playing along with someone in person. Anyway my point is ( for me ) the lessons and all the great stuff that we get from BBC work fantastic but I think we need the one on one/ face to face in person feedback once in a while. ( at least I do!! I need and will take all the help I can get:wink: ):sunglasses:

3 Likes

Ah maybe you shouldn’t try dancing hornpipes whilst pickin John henry :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

What can I say? The banjo makes me happy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::banjo::grin::foot::banjo::+1:

1 Like

There is a bit of good news on that front. During the IBMA’s, I discovered a comment from a guy not 8 blocks away who also plays banjo & is also a beginner.
(How weird is the internet. I was chatting online thru the IBMA with a guy I never met who lives in my town!)
We set up a meet & compared notes…and will get together again to motivate each other.
He has a strong music background, but no banjo background. He is on a different learning track. It’s weird, He’s learning all this up the neck stuff, but cannot play Cripple Creek. I suspect he’s getting Melodic lessons rather than Scruggs-style.
So I guess I’m still the best bluegrass banjo player I know! :grin:

4 Likes

Wahoo! I’ve turned the corner! Yesterday I played it thru twice without error, and I was playing with the backing track at 160 bpm.
I have successfully reached the next plateau! :grin:

3 Likes

Jon1 I have heard that it is always better to play with other PEOPLE away from tab or our closet or our living room alone. Something about non verbal communication between players as well as an occasional yell to keep us learning and playing better, especially when it comes to timing.

Thanks for the input you gave me too.

DLS

2 Likes

You’re a banjo player, so the title question is easy to answer. You’re nuts just like the rest of us lol

7 Likes

Best club I ever joined!!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s a very good day indeed!!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes I agree. This whole coevid mess has kinda put in a funk and not having any human contact in months is just bad Banjo mojo!!! :cry: But hey, just being able to play and practice warm’s my heart!!! even on the bad day’s. :sunglasses:

1 Like