Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Alright, let's get it going

Yeah, I need to be reminded that the roll doesn’t always have to be textbook. Just needs to fit right.

I know everything I want to do for the break, but I still got to figure out about half of it. Nothing fancy, believe me. Any idea about how many days we’ll have? Asking cause I’m out of town Thursday through Sunday night.

Jack

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but I don’t think anything is set in stone. I’d bet the others would be willing to wait until you get your part ready.

OK…Just to double check, is this the progression to build on?

G

Oh will the circle, be unbroken
C G
By and by Lord by and by
Em
There’s a better home a waitin
G D7 G
In the sky Lord in the sky

I think the board takes out extra spaces, so I’ll put them in line.

G Oh will the circle, be unbroken

By and C by Lord by and G by

There’s a better home a waitin Em

In the G sky Lord D7 in the G sky

Oops! Formatting messed up where I had the chords placed. I’ll try again.

Oh will the G circle be unbroken
By an C by Lord by and G bye
Theres a bertter home aEm waiting
In the G sky Lord D7 in the G sky

Chord changes just before the word. Clear as mud, Huh?

Heh… we were working on it at the same time. :slight_smile:

You got it though. I suppose where the Em falls with relation to the word “waiting” is a matter of personal preference. It works both ways.

Mark, I think we’re agreed.:notes:

Appreciate your feedback.

Got my break figured out. Now, I need to tighten it up. Several truckloads of tightening needed. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I”m in for a banjo break, guitar, dobro, or bass. I’m happy to provide anything I can…though I’ve never done a group effort like this. I’m excited to try though.

1 Like

What bpm are you gonna play it in?

I’m hoping for 110 BPM like Ben’s lesson is (or 220 if you double it up like he has on the backing tracks.)

I’m a first timer too Michael. Pick one and dive in! :grinning:

I doubt I can handle much more than that. 110 will definitely challenge me. (New guy here).

I put on the google online mentronome and set it at speeds between 90 and 100, and kinda sang along with the beat, and that seemed to be pretty close to how many bands do it.

But, I may be wrong there, and I’ll be more than happy to go along with the majority.

Jack

Traveling this weekend so I won’t be on much.

Let’s do 100BPM, y’all.

I might be able to do 100 . Basic melody is not much of a break, maybe I’ll try some backup. Then mixer guy can bring the volume down a bit. What do you think? To much hassle shall I sit this one out

We’re not trying to get a Grammy nomination…we’re just having fun. Do what you want to do!

2 Likes

Why not? The basic melody is usually the best first break, especially if it’s an instrumental. It helps the listener know what the melody should sound like.

Ben’s lesson on this song is excellent. If you haven’t watched it yet, definitely put it on your short list.

1 Like

Ok I’ll have a look at the basic version and see if I can pull it off.

I’ve never done a group recording, so I have the most basic of questions…what should I use to record? I’ve got a good mic (Blue Yeti USB), but the only thing I can think of is using Garage Band. Is that doable?