Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Alan Munde fret board geo

Man, I studied Alans FBG about a year ago. I’m revisiting it again after my camp experience last week. I’m amazed how much I didn’t understand the first time, but now understanding the second time. It’s like the light bulbs are going off everywhere. As I learn, I am able to apply new ideas to these great lessons. I hope this helps someone else.

I read an encouraging comment today on a sign, I would like to share, it read: If you never climb the mountain, you will never see the view". So get those instruments out and let’s all climb the mountain together.

Have a great week everyone!

13 Likes

It’s incredible how many puzzle pieces got put together for me, too. I told Alan how inspired I was seeing him still get excited about sharing this info that you know he’s taught thousands of times.

It was a great camp all around.

6 Likes

Every time I watch the Fret Board lessons I gleam another nugget. IMHO that series of lessons is best banjo lessons on the site.

Meeting Alan was an experience I had dreamed of since I started picking. His sense of humility and humor amplified the learning. The simplicity of how he tied it together was amazing.

5 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better. I had to take the time to tell him how much I appreciated how excited he still gets teaching this stuff after all these years. You know he’s gone over this material thousands of times, but that morning in the whole camp lesson he kept turning to Ben asking “OH! Can I just add one more thing?”

Dude, you’re Alan Munde. You can add as many more things as you want!

4 Likes

I woke up at the hotel near Ben’s home on Friday morning and headed down for breakfast. I sat down, started eating, and then to my surprise Alan Munde sat down across from me. Several other campers were there as well, and after over an hour of entertaining and insightful stories we all realized we needed to get going to Ben’s place. The same pleasant breakfast experience occurred on Saturday. And during that chat, Alan mentioned that one time when he was in Europe a man asked if he could join him at his table in a restaurant. The man was American and hadn’t spoken to another American for two years. After a good dinner and conversation the man said he could actually feel the muscles in his face he hadn’t used in those years. Then Alan continued the story by turning to me and saying that for him the camp was a similar experience. He could feel the muscles in his face from all the smiling he’d done during camp. I thought that was a great testament of what camp meant to all of us.

8 Likes

Man, I wish I could have been at breakfast with you. I would enjoy sitting and listening to his stories too. Good for you, something to put into your memories for years to come.

I missed Alan by 1 week. I was at the first camp, I thought Alan was coming to that one too. I was a little disappointed to hear I missed him.

5 Likes