Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Advice on Chords?

Hello Everyone. A lot of fiddle tunes (e.g. Old Joe Clarke) are in the key of A. What is a new mandolin player to do? Do you recommend a capo or is there any easier version of the chords (especially A and E)? Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi @nschlueter and welcome to the forum!

One way to play the A chord is to use your index finger and bar the second fret on the lowest 2 strings. You can also use two fingers, but I find it harder to switch chords when doing that. So 1st finger on the 2nd fret on the G and D strings- which makes the notes A and E, and then let the A and E strings ring open.

For the E chord, you can do 1st fret on the G string, and 2nd fret on the D and A strings. Hope this helps!

7 Likes

So - I do the ā€œeasierā€ chop chords when I play backup, using 2 or 3 finger versions.

This is how I usually play my partial chords for the key of A: A: 6th fret on g string (middle finger) & 7th fret (ring finger) on d string, (not playing a&e strings at all)

D:
4th fret (index) on d string & 7th fret (ring) on g string , (again not playing a&e strings at all)

E: slide those fingers from the D cord up two frets to 6th fret (index) on d string & 9th fret (middle) on g string. (Still not playing a&e strings)

For an example of how this looks and sounds, please check out this video & post where Iā€™m actually playing them: https://banjobenclark.com/forum/t/prayer-bells-of-heaven-backup/10987?u=simone
(Note Iā€™m not using the D chord in this particular song, as it calls for a B chord instead)

Pretty much every song Iā€™ve posted in which Iā€™m doing backup are modified or partial chop chords. Theres a few draw backs to this though. You cant always get to some percussive sounds, or tones this way. For the tone reason, there are several versions of the partial chords I use depending on what the song calls for. Plus (from what Iā€™ve observed in my encounters) its not always looked upon as a ā€œfavorableā€ way to do chop chords. Iā€™m not entirely sure why that is, but if you can learn and be able to apply the full chords, your playing will probably benefit more. (Thatā€™s just my opinion on what Iā€™ve been told.) Having said all that, if partial chords help you to play more & enjoy playing (especially the ability to pick with others, or due to physical limitations) and if this helped in any way, thatā€™s great! Welcome to the partial chord gang :grin::+1:t2:!

3 Likes

@nschlueter,

This is what I love about this site!

Great question and awesome answers from 2 very talented Ladies (who I am happy to learn from!): @Lucy_L and @Simone!

I also notice that neither of the ladies ā€œthrew in the towelā€ to just suggest the capo. Rather, they gave options and situational ideas!

Great questions + great responses = real-world shared learning for all! :+1::facepunch:

For MY sake too, thanks for posting @nschlueter and keep them there ponderins coming!

5 Likes

Wow, what a great community here! I love it! Iā€™ll give these suggestions a try. Or, to tell the truth: This is really for my nine-year old son who wants to learn mandolin. (Iā€™m a banjo/guitar guy). So the real problem is that his fingers just arenā€™t coordinated enough yet to do complex chords. Iā€™ll have him try out these two finger chords and see if we can make it work on Old Joe Clarke. Blessings to all of you! Nathan

5 Likes

Good luck, great to hear of such a young mandolin learneršŸ˜ƒ

4 Likes

Another way to do the chords, if you wanted more of a chop chords sound, is to do:
A- 1st finger on the D string, fret 7 (A note), and 2nd finger on the G string, fret 9 (E note). Thatā€™s actually the bottom 2 notes of the REAL chop chord.

D- 1st finger on the D string, fret 4 (F# note), 2nd finger on the A string, fret 5 (D note), 3rd finger on the G string, fret 7 (D note). This is the standard D chop chord. Move that up 2 frets to get the E chord. So, D string, fret 6; A string, fret 7; and G string, fret 9.

4 Likes

After thinking about what I posted earlier about ā€œcheaterā€ 2 finger chop chords, & then later finding out it was pertaining to a very young & new player, (which is awesome), I would have to say that I would either follow @Lucy_L 's last post using 3 fingers, or else just keep working on the full ā€œrealā€ chords. Children learn so much better than adults, and I would not wish to sabotage a new young playerā€™s learning by suggesting to do what I do, which is not the proper form. Sorry for being wishy washy sounding here, (going against my own ā€˜adviceā€™) but if it were my child, I would strive for him learn it correctly, and as @WillCoop said, I wouldnā€™t recommend capoing.
Your son will get it down in time, and will be a better player for it!! :blush:

2 Likes