Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Acoustic pick-up recommendations

Score!!!

I had sent a private message in response to one from you, but I suspect you didn’t receive it, Here is what I sent:
— start message
The one I got was the Orchid muting DI, It is a no-frills, but solid piece. It doesn’t make any noise and the mute switch is handy. It is a European company and it seems like I bought it for about $60 shipped. The exchange has probably changed significantly, so verify the cost before pulling the trigger. That one does all I want and I am happy with it. Others have liked the RedEye (but I haven’t personally tried it). Here is a link to some comparisons of some of the units:

You should be able to click on the link above to go read the comments. Long and short of it, there are quite a few nice options. For me, the cheap and simple route filled my needs.

Have a good one!
---- end message

There are quite a few threads on AGF and UMGF as well.

Thanks, Mike. I didn’t get the PM – perhaps my access is disabled. Great information above and like you I will probably go the simple function route. I’m gonna get something ordered this week.
-d.

1 Like

I wanted to add a bit more info. If you listen carefully to the recording I made above comparing SBT to microphone, you will notice something that defines the difference in tone between SBT/UST and microphones; attack and decay. When you hear the SBT, you will notice that the attack is immediate and full volume when each note is plucked while the microphone shows that the top of the guitar takes a moment to get vibrating after a note is plucked and blooms slightly after the initial attack. In addition, the decay of a note using an SBT/UST is slower and lasts longer than the actual sound of the instrument.

The point is that no UST/SBT is going to be perfect, especially placed directly under the bridge because the attack is too sudden and too closely connected to the immediate pluck of the strings.

Listening to the Maury’s Music recordings confirmed this for me. It also confirmed to me that no DI can correct for these anomalies.

The Fishman Aura does a nice job of correcting for harmonics and natural tone, but still cannot correct for attack and decay.

So I agree with Mike, if you decide to get a DI, find one that works for you and don’t be swayed by the big dollar ones.

Now if SBTs were more sensitive and could be successfully placed on the soundboard away from the bridge (so that they could pickup the natural bloom and decay of a guitar top) then you might have something.

2 Likes

I think that might work. You could get some transducers and use double sided tape or similar and try different placements. I do think getting out on the top more would also make feedback more of an issue, but other than that, I don’t see why not.

I agree about the feedback. And even though the weight and mass of the pickups would be minimal, glueing them directly to the soundboard might cause some changes in tone; another serious negative.

1 Like

One last follow up for me. I just received my LR Baggs para DI and used it with my new Lyric. What a great combo! It really worked well together. Thank you all for your wisdom and advice. It is much appreciated!

That should be a great setup!