Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Absolute Beginner Camp

Any plans in the next 1-3 years for an “absolute beginner” camp maybe down South ?? Or ??? :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Although I have never been to a Cabin Camp, what I have gleaned from Forum chatter is that pretty much every camp is a “beginner’s camp.” In other words, they are reputed to do a very good job at matching your skill with the right people.

And lets face it, we’ll never learn anything hanging around with another bunch of beginner’s.

2 Likes

I live just a couple hours south of Nashville, so I’ve been to a few camps. Ben, Katy Lou, and anyone else there will make you feel comfortable with your discomfort —very friendly and absolutely a no judgement zone. You’ll experience being on a stage with a supportive audience. By the way, everyone messes up, but the exposure helps us down a great path. And the lessons won’t go over your head. Just a lot of good stuff to work on before you decide to go to another camp. Highly recommended even for raw beginners.

2 Likes

If you’re talking banjo, my banjo-only camp that happens in October has a class explicitly for absolute beginners. I plan to do the same in '24.

6 Likes

GREAT !!! Something to look forward to.
Any idea where it might be held next year ?
Would you consider Florida ???:crossed_fingers:

I’ll probably always hold the banjo-only camp on my farm here in Texas. I do a one-day camp in St. Pete, Fl, each March: https://store.banjobenclark.com/blogs/banjo-bens-blog/cabin-camps

Thanks Ben. I did see that St. Pete camp but (unfortunately) also saw that currently,
it would be too advanced for me.
BUT … it DOES provide me with a long term goal to achieve :+1:
Thanks again.

I don’t know @kooseman. I would consider challenging yourself and I’d bet that you’re way underestimating the value you would receive from the camp.

3 Likes

Sooooo, sorry as always if I’m getting too far off thread, but having gone to camp this year, I’d be interested in a “veterans only” camp…? Not trying to be exclusionary, but I can only imagine how much more I (and others) could push myself in an environment like that. Work even more on playing with others…

That said, I def recommend camp to anyone on the fence about it.

1 Like

I also agree that (almost) every camp is a “beginner’s camp” from the viewpoint of how much you can learn.
I guess it’s a matter of what your comfort level is within the camp surroundings. I viewed the video of Kristin demonstrating Back to The Basics and from what I determined, the participants ranged from raw beginner to experienced pickers. The raw beginner struggled, the experienced pickers attempted to perform but also struggled as they were not able to perform at the slow tempos. My guess is that, had there been all beginners and only one experienced, there would have been a different comfort level, minus any anxiety/intimidation
for the beginner. I’m not sure I agree with never learning anything from other beginners if you consider sharing and support important. Most beginners appreciate all valid advice but are more assured by knowing
others are experiencing/sharing the same difficulties. Just my beginner .02 cents worth. :thinking:

3 Likes