Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

About Michael Kelly Mandolins

Hello,
I’m new to mandolin (long time guitar player) and shopping for a Mid-level F style mandolin. I’ll be looking at a Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe, built in 2006. I’m wondering if any of you out there own one or can tell me about Michael Kelly mandolins - not finding too much info on the internet. Where do they fall quality wise? Is it a decent starter mandolin?
Thanks

5 Likes

How do you define “mid level”? MK makes, from what I’ve heard, a decent entry level mandolin, but for the price, I would recommend a Kentucky or an Eastman instead.
With all of these mass produced instruments, they’ll all sound slightly different within the same model designation, so it’s best to play before you pay if you have that option

5 Likes

Thanks for the input. I guess by mid-level I mean something above the cookie-cutter mass produced or “assembly line” mandolin, but below the custom built (and out of my price range) mandolin.

5 Likes

Ok, well Michael Kelly is not above that level, but there is some good quality mass produced instruments out there, just varies by instrument

2 Likes

I think they’re pretty fine, but like Gunnar says you can’t hardly beat Eastman in that price range!

3 Likes