Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

5th String Tuner

So, I was changing the strangs on my banjo. And my 5th string tuner fell out. And won’t stay back in. And I was wondering what I should use to get in back in, or should I head over to Exeter to get it fixed?

2 Likes

Hi Evan It’s not a big job to fix it @jake would probably be able to advise you how to do it. But hey if you live close to Exeter it’s a great excuse to stop by the shop and check things out.

4 Likes

That’s happened to me before too. You could either wrap one layer of tape around the tuner, or use some rubber cement in the whole. I believe that’s what I did. It will drive you crazy always falling out when you change the strings :joy:

2 Likes

Hey, on the general store site @Jake has a video about removing the 5th string tuner. Try watching the video in reverse :rofl:

5 Likes

Last time that happened to me I just smeared some original Gorrila Glue around part of the tuner that goes in the wood and push it in as far as it would go. there is no glue on the outside to make it look ugly but there is also no getting it out. It’s worked great for me since.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hope you never have to replace that tuner. That Gorilla glue is stronger than the wood itself. :laughing:

4 Likes

it’s a $200 Washburn banjo that dosen’t even have a resonator so i really dont care if the tuner goes. Besides, I put in a good quality tuner so i’m not really worried about it breaking. Yes i have thought lots about getting a new banjo and would VERY much like to but have never been able to. Guess I really don’t want any banjo other than the Twanger and it’s literally almost never in stock. Hopefully one day.

you bet. That’s for sure.

2 Likes

Do not glue unless it’s a glue you can overpower with pliers! Wrapping the post with tape is a good idea.

2 Likes

That’s why I used rubber cement :blush:

3 Likes