Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

5-String Banjo strumming?

Sometimes I try to accompany an accordion with the banjo. With the fingerpicks it’s reasonably possible with vamping. But that is very tiring. Now I’ve tried it with strumming. What’s played isn’t perfect, it’s just a matter of style. Of course, the whole thing is just an exception, I will never stop picking in my life :smile: what do you think? Does that sound interesting or should I let it be?:grin:

8 Likes

I think that sounds good! Are you using a flatpick or a thumbpick?

It might be weird in bluegrass, but for rhythm behind the accordion it sounds very fitting in my opinion.

4 Likes

@Michael_Mark, i played this without any pick, just fingers… yes of course, for bluegrass its really weird…

5 Likes

Very impressive under the teacher’s direction!! Also, you must have put in a lot of effort. Wonder how you managed to synch the video!
Thoroughly enjoyed it! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nicely done! If you think it sounds good, it sounds good. It doesn’t matter what others think. It’s your music! And you have just demonstrated “what was old is new again.”

The Accordion: Bluegrass Music’s Forgotten Instrument
"As noted, The Blue Grass Boys used an accordion very early in their formation as they experimented with their sound. They went through numerous lineup changes during their formation before finally settling on an all stringed instrument arrangement.

This experimentation has lead to modern Bluegrass bands also taking the time to experiment and this has brought the accordion back into Bluegrass. It is a common instrument in folk music, and Bluegrass has long been a collaborative style of music with people from all over jazz, blues and even orchestral musicians participating.

The use of the accordion in Bluegrass has lead some purists to call it ‘NewGrass’ or ‘Progressive Bluegrass,’ but in the end music is meant to grow. Why can’t it grow to include a fuller understanding of its own history and still maintain its name and character?

It is of this writers opinion that you can take the traditional Bluegrass lineup – mandolin, upright bass, acoustic guitar, banjo and fiddle and add a little bit of another non-electric powered instrument and still be Bluegrass. Bill Monroe gave it a shot once, you can as well and you can create some exciting music."

2 Likes

Great job :grin::+1:! Enjoyed that! Your strumming fingers must have been sore!
Reminds me of the music my family would play many years ago when they would get together. Accordion, guitar, bones, occasionally banjo, piano or harmonica, and a “gut bucket”. They would play all night & into the morning!

4 Likes

I love it!

4 Likes

Thank you @JohnM! I let the recording of the accordion run through the music system and accompanied it, it’s not edited together.

1 Like

Thank you @BanJoe! Thank you for your detailed report. I’ll take a look at all of that! And thanks for the encouragement!

1 Like

Thank you @Simone! :blush: it went quite well with the fingers. I don’t even have flatpicking under control… thank you! I would have liked to hear that and felt the atmosphere!

1 Like

Thank you @Mike_R! :+1:

@Severin, got it. Somehow it made me think your animated objects were fully synched up to the music you recorded. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah now i understand😄

1 Like

That sounds good! The banjo was strummed in the jazz era, which the accordion is reminiscent of, and also that sounds like the way you would play it in a German folk scenario

3 Likes

Thank you @Dragonslayer!

1 Like