Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

36 Campers!

Hey Gang! Taking a break from my yardwork….would rather be playing my mandolin! We are well under average temps here in Wisconsin and I have been eager to get my yard raked up, fertilized, etc. Today it’s a bit cool out but sunny and warming as the day moves on. Probably have a couple hours work left…

While doing this yardwork I’ve been contemplating the upcoming Cabin Camp. Alicia B. told me (cuz I asked) that we have 36 campers! Seems that I recall Ben saying in one of his videos that he likes to keep the group about this size…I’m envisioning 6 - 9 “bands” (or groups of players they’ll assign us to on arrival) (I’ve been watching Cabin Camp videos). Is anyone else excited? This is my first cabin camp and the first time I’ve taken my mandolin out in public! YIKES! My expected takeaways include getting an honest assessment of where I am and how I can improve, getting some great instruction and most of all, having the chance to play with others! Music, that is! I feel like a kid going to summer camp…but I’m 62 years old! I can hardly wait!

Okay, the yardwork isn’t getting done with me sitting here on my iPad…

Ciao for now!

Ron

8 Likes

my 66th birthday will be during this camp… this is my birthday present to me…and this is the first camp I have been to since I was a teenager. I am as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! Can’t wait!!!

6 Likes

C’mon, Mr G. …. You’re joshing us! You are a well established musician, teacher, etc….what’s to be nervous about? Now me? First time in public with my mandolin (and to make matters worse I’m bringing my guitar which I play like Hand Williams….3 chords, no picking! At least nobody will know me there…haha. Looking forward to it for sure.

3 Likes

I am one of those “jack of all trades, master of none” kind of guys. My basic qualification for things like this are my insatiable love for all things music. I do ok, but I didn’t get into Bluegrass music until about 12 years ago, and since then, my buddy arthritis keeps me slowed up. I see these kids smoking the fretboard and it makes me all kind of giddy to see them getting into this stuff at an early age. You want to become a virtuoso on the guitar? Head over the Bluegrass land. I look forward to meeting you!

6 Likes

I know the “jack of all trades” feeling, Mr. G. We’re roughly the same vintage thought I got into bluegrass many decades ago…just never learned to play any of it. I think I play like I speak Italian…kinda sloppy but I can get by. I’m looking forward to meeting you as well…and also all the other campers. It’ll be interesting to see the different skill levels, the excitement, the horror (how did THAT old guy (me) get in here?) (LoL). Yeah, it’s gonna be a blast. My biggest concern right now? Do I get a haircut before I go? I’m retired military but sometimes I let my hair go. Oh, the decisions we face in retired life…right?

3 Likes

Cummon, you two, talking about your advanced age. I’ll be 76 next month and I drove 750 miles across Texas to attend the Cabin Camp at BB’s ranch in Kilgore last month. I’ve been playing guitar for close to 65 years and can play pretty solid back-up, but have remained a very novice lead picker in bluegrass style. For me the best part of the experience was the one-on-one opportunity to get questions of technique addressed by world-class guitar players. This alone was worth the investment in time & money. We all know what a wonderful guitar player and teacher Ben is, but I was equally dazzled by the other staff which he had assembled for the camp. As far as the “nerves” issue is concerned I can tell you that I saw performance anxiety in myself and others there, yet Ben’s assurance that the environment is supportive of the skills of everyone is reflected in the operation. So any nervousness is internal and self-induced. You may spend a few anxious moments but you’ll be happy with the experience, learn a bunch, and come away with some direction to apply to your playing. It’s all good.

5 Likes

I went to Cabin Camp in October 2019 and loved every minute of it. You will be accepted just as you are.

4 Likes

it’s ALWAYS good to hear from someone older than I… Seems that there are fewer and fewer of those around these days (wonder why that is? grin ). I am VERY much looking forward to this. Thank you for the encouragement!!!

6 Likes

I cannot say enough great things about my experience in ol’ Kilgore … other than I must find a way to attend another Cabin Camp in the near future. Playing my instrument for three solid days with some truly fine people was more than I could ever possibly hope for! To top it off, I got to hear @epjacobs fine jokes!

3 Likes

@epjacobs Thanks for the input,

I enjoyed collaborating with AnotherEric at camp, a fellow member of the infamous Kilgore Matadors.

2 Likes