Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

3/4 time backup

Been thinking about a friend today and watching some of his old performances.

Thought I’d share this one. I think it’s a good example to get different ideas from on backing up &playing 3/4 time (the bane of many bajo pickers)

Mike was adept at about any traditional style of 5 string playing, as well as having some tenor banjo/jazz influence that he’s incorporate from tie to time.

10 Likes

I love the look on the face of the kid at 1:12. The look of a future picker.

7 Likes

Wow.

3 Likes

Man! That was some pretty novel picking. I don’t recall ever hearing anything quite like that on a 5 string. Parts of it almost sounded like a tenor banjo.

3 Likes

Mark, I believe his Dad played tenor banjo and he got a lt of that type stuff from him. He could also pull of about any Reno stuff you asked him too.

4 Likes

Here is a good article on Mike from Banjo Newsletter by Greg Cahill if anyone’s interested.

https://banjonews.com/2015-01/mike_lilly_interview_by_greg_cahill.html

3 Likes

One of my favorite banjo pickers is my friend Jim Britton, and he does a lot of great 3/4 stuff too:

Oh, and Andy Leftwich ain’t bad on that fiddle/mando either.
6 Likes

Bet Mike had a lot of wall paper in house cause he always seems to have that cracklin’ paint peelin’ tone. Kind of holds your attention real good.

4 Likes

Haha, he had a way of cutting through for sure…never the tinny stanley type tone though.

2 Likes

Jim comes to town once a year, about, to preach or teach music. He’s always gone by the time I find out he was here. Guess I need to turn Baptist to hear him in person. I got him on Instagram though. Stellar stuff.

3 Likes

Jim’s an excellent picker, used to run across him a lot in Banjo Hangout.

3 Likes

Hi Dave I’ve heard that song a ton of times but truly awesome. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Jim is one of my favorite pickers too and such a nice guy.

3 Likes