Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

2020 Spring Camp Updates

I live in Southeast Louisiana where it’s usually hurricanes that mess up all your plans. Been there, done that, understand that! I’ve watched, and played, concerts in the mud and rain as well. As long as there’s music and camaraderie , we’ll make out just fine.

3 Likes

Sound advice @Peg_E Thank you for your service. The military are almost always thanked for the service they give to their country. But the daily dangers medical staff have to endure is often overlooked. So from a British Army Veteran I salute you and all your co-workers in the medical profession for the long hours and the work you do to help your patients recover…

5 Likes

So, Peg_E, now that we have identified ourselves as “highly-trained professionals in the healing arts”, have you seen any data on the viability of corona virus over time on the surface of linear metallic structures under tension? Should all guitar players during the current possible epidemic be required to play Rainsong instruments, which can be fully immersed in a corona virus version of sheep dip? I hope that you will be attending the camp on the 26th so that we can discuss these issues. I will be the one in full surgical cap, mask, and sterile gown, so you can pick me out (unless others decide to do the same).
Bob Jacobs, MD
General Surgeon

4 Likes

Everyone has some excellent points here about the situation with Covid 19. I have some thoughts on this as well (FWIW), but I don’t want to highjack the Cabin Camp Forum, so I’ve posted them on a new thread titled “Coronavirus, or Covid 19” in the Chit Chat Forum.

4 Likes

@banjoben wasn’t sure based on the video if I was supposed to bring my chainsaw. Didn’t see it on the list. Thanks for the update. A weather update closer to camp time might be helpful to know what to wear.

5 Likes

No, but bring your axe :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I wish I was attending the camp!

5 Likes

Great to see the progress. I may be better at splitting wood than playing the banjo so it is nice to see alternatives when I get there.
I was already taken to the woodshed once playing blackberry blossom on the banjo and it is still a vivid memory.

3 Likes

What? I thought you were attending. Aww, I was looking forward to meeting you :frowning_face:

5 Likes

Just saw that Billy Strings is making his TV debut on Jimmy Kimmel live on Thursday 3/26, the first night of Camp.

6 Likes

Thanks! No can do though. Saving my dimes and nickels though!

2 Likes

I love to sing harmony (or lead)… I just love singing! Looking forward to learning some great tips on how to do harmony right.

5 Likes

So, no one took the bait on my speculation about the viability of virus on high tension metallic structures, nor on the advisability of switching to Rainsong guitars which can be dipped in antimicrobial solutions. What a disappointment!
I can’t help noting that when I posted my question on this blog 12 days ago about contingency plans in regard to travel and group gatherings in the face of the developing corona virus epidemic, since those actions are typical public health efforts to control outbreaks, the general response was basically skeptical. It is a shame that things have worked out as they have, and I am greatly disappointed that I will miss the camp at the end of the month, but I was not surprised at this outcome, as I was expecting it, and applaud Ben for following through and taking the responsible approach. I will not be able to attend the July camp, but hope to take advantage of priority access to a spot in the fall. I suspect that many of us who cannot come in July will be loosing non-refundable fees for travel/lodging etc. So this is a loss all around. Hopefully, everyone who wants to participate will be able to make it sometime in the next year and become Banjo Ben campers. I certainly will be planning on it.
Gig 'em (Ask Ben, if you don’t understand)
Bob Jacobs, MD

4 Likes

I’ll get to meet you someday, Doc! I haven’t heard of any hotels or airlines refusing to refund fees, so I hope the loss was minimal.

4 Likes

I bought an advanced purchase stay at the Hampton by Hilton which, under normal circumstances, is a no refund purchase. Hilton has already said they’d refund the full purchase price with as little as 24 hours notice.

I think our losses will be minimal, other than the loss of meeting each other.

6 Likes

My hotel was booked on Priceline. The hotel says that they will refund if so instructed by Priceline, but Priceline says that they are too busy to talk to anyone outside of a 3 day window before their travel date. So, I’m going to try for it when the date gets closer, but I’m not optimistic regarding the outcome. I also decided to carry my guitar in a gigbag on the plane, as there are too many horror stories about luggage-handlers destroying instruments on planes. I was flying Southwest, and paid for priority boarding to assure that there would be space overhead for the instrument. Although I can cancel my flight and get a full refund of the ticket, they do not refund any fees paid for the priority privileges.
So, I did a lot of pre-planning and arranged things really well, so I thought. Just shows that you can’t cover every base. Fortunately the losses are only annoying, not important. The biggest loss is the disappointment of having to put off something to which I greatly looked forward.

2 Likes

And the high tension metallic structures?

2 Likes

I dunno, can you replace your strings with carbon fiber?

2 Likes

Billy Strings - a native of my Great Lake State - Michigan! Billy is Incredible! Can’t wait!

2 Likes

It doesn’t look like anyone is still following this thread. The week-end of my camp has just passed and I am feeling sad about the missed opportunity, hoping that this national crisis will resolve expeditiously with as little suffering as possible. Regards to all the new friends whom I missed connecting with!
Bob Jacobs,MD

9 Likes