Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

16 years - 100K Views and still sounding good

I wish mine was as clean @BanjoBen

5 Likes

Would you believe that, after all of these years and my attending 7 cabin camps, I finally got to play banjo with Banjo Ben this time? Even he couldn’t believe that had never happened before. This was the song we played.

Only problem was that he didn’t know the format of the song (I came in after another camper sang it) and didn’t realize we’d never played together before. Since we were short on time, he didn’t take a guitar break. I’m sure he would have if he’d known that was my first time.

5 Likes

@Mark_Rocka I noticed on this arrangement he adds another verse. Not included on the lesson. Love this tune.

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/red-wing-alan-munde-banjo?from_track=advanced-banjo-checklist

Had I not had that surgery I would have attended cabin camp last year.

1 Like

I noticed that, too. Don’t think I won’t be trying to find that one somewhere. If I can’t find it, I’m putting it on my short list to figure out.

1 Like

Tune sounded familiar and I realize that was “Love is the Flag on the Castle of my Heart!”

1 Like

Hi @JohnM I am sure there are a ton of versions of this tune with an assortment of titles and lyrics just like this.

1 Like

Archie, oh ok, but original Red Wing is cool, and Ben’s performance is pretty! :+1:

I hear the similarities, but the melody is different and the chords are definitely not the same.

Really cool piano playing!

1 Like

Yeah Mark, it is different. And it got to be different as otherwise the Sunday school kids would be reminded of Red Wing lyrics (or a secular song lyric for that matter) when they would sing this song.

A kid taught us in a camp in Chennai, which was slightly different from what was played on down the memory lane.

The lyrics was,

Love is the flag
On the castle of my heart (3)
Love is the flag
On the castle of my heart
Since the king is in residence there.

So let it fly in the sky
Let the whole world know (3)
So let it fly in the sky
Let the whole world know
Since the king is in residence there.

I will probably see if I can attempt a build-a-break on this. :slight_smile:

I know this isn’t what Ben was playing, but go to this web site and search for “red wing thai jam”
https://banjo-tabs.com/index.php?p=tabs&?=go

Holy Moly!!! I think even Ben would have a hard time with this one.

1 Like

Dang I can’t get it to play.

I had to download the TEF file and play it in TablEdit.

2 Likes

I got it, used MS Player to play the midi file. It’s similar to Alan Munde’s arrangement. I think @BanjoBen could nail it easily. Do you think he is up for the challenge though? He is getting on a bit now starting to loose that youthful charm. A few wrinkles and do I see silver threads among his red locks.gif

1 Like

With a little bit of diet (chapati’s are best, simple to make, no sugar, along with proper gravy), I think he should look young again! :slight_smile:

You’ve lost me @JohnM

Hi Archie, I tend to think more than his age, (he is older but he is still young :slight_smile: ), proper dietary habits should make him more healthy and look young again! Don’t you think?

Right I get it now.

:+1: