Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

10 Year Anniversary - Proud to be a Banjo Ben Student

I used to be a wanna-be banjo player - now I are one!

I am a retired Laser Printer Engineer. Married with two daughters, four grand daughters and a grandson. Started learning to play the five string banjo for a hobby in 2008 when I was 61. I learned the fundamentals from the Murphy Method DVDs and Geoff Hohwald’s Watch and Learn download lessons, Geoff did a lot to encourage and inspire me in those early years, through regular email exchanges where we discussed the lack of lessons on Back Up and Improvisation as a result of these exchanges Geoff went on to develop a series of new lessons on Back Up, Pentatonic and Basic Improvisation. It was Geoff that taught me how to read tablature which enabled me to go forward and study more advanced lessons.

“Sources of materials studied” intermediate/advanced banjo DVDs Alan Munde, Bill Evans, Tom Adams, John Lawless, Tony Trischka, Greg Cahill, Ron Block, Jim Mills to name but a few I’ve also studied TAB books by Earl Scruggs, Bill Keith, Janet Davis, Jack Hatfield and JD Crowe’s Acutab Publication. Also Jack Baker & the Late Tom Arri (Banjo Tom2) from the Banjo Hangout.

I was in my first or perhaps second year studying banjo when one day I stumbled on a cocky red haired boy on YouTube pickin banjo and began to follow his progress as a young up and coming teacher as he began carving out a livelihood online.

I joined BanjoBenClark.com as a Life Member in 2013 and assisted with the Beta Testing of the current website with @Mark_Rocka and @Dave_Long. My progress as a banjo player has steadily improved over these past ten years thanks to Banjo Ben’s excellent teaching skills, his detailed lessons and accurate tablature.

More recently I have been taking additional banjo lessons from Noam Pikelny at ArtistWorks Heath Joyce at pickinlessons.com Heath teaches Blues and Celtic tunes on the 5 String and Ned Luberecki at TrueFire adding value to all the knowledge and skills I’ve learned here on banjobenclark.com Of all the teachers and teaching methods I have used I have to say Banjo Ben is by far Thee Best Teacher there is!.

22 Likes

Excellent!

Did you receive you commemorative 10th anniversary gift banjo yet? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Not yet @Mike_R I am thinking a gold plated banjo would be nice especially after all these years of sucking up to you know who. All I got so far was the standard Earned Anniversary Badge:medal_sports:

7 Likes

I’m thankful for you, my friend. Those words mean a whole lot.

9 Likes

@Archie When I first joined in 2018 I would often look for your posts with explanations on how to find and do things on the site. Many thanks.

5 Likes

Oh yeah? If Banjo Ben’s such a great teacher, how come I’m not a better banjo player?:grin::weary::scream::grin:

7 Likes

I am sure your a better banjo player than you were before you became a student here @BanJoe Joseph and after all how many banjo players can boast they can dance a sailors hornpipe eh?

4 Likes

Congrats on 10 years on the site, Archie! I’m sure you’ve improved a ton in the last decade.

6 Likes

I sure have @Flatpickin_Libby but I’ll never reach your level even if I am still here in 10 years. I just wish I’d taken up the banjo in my teens… I am just glad I had the wisdom to take on a Lifetime Membership. I knew back then that @BanjoBen was the real deal.

6 Likes

I cannot play a NOTE of banjo :rofl:

4 Likes

It’s a good time to start!

oldbanjoe50

3 Likes

Let da conspiracy begin!

5 Likes

That? :unamused: It was just a con. I got paid by NASA to fake it for live TV.

Actually I thought if I won that banjo I might learn but I didn’t, so :rofl:

4 Likes

I remember that @Michael_Mark I thought @Flatpickin_Libby 's entry was pretty good.

6 Likes

Congrats on that milestone Archie! I remember you and I jumping on board here around about the same time as beginners. :clap:

4 Likes