Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

My 2020 Mandolin Project

I’m on a mission for 2020 to figure out how to pick this cousin of the lute and keep the BG police off my tail…

19 Likes

It sounds like your off to a good start for the 2020 Mission.

5 Likes

Nice picking!

6 Likes

Great Job Todd

6 Likes

Sounds great. Those hammer-on’s followed by the double stops sound right on time, that always trips me up. Keep up the posts.

8 Likes

Well that sure sounds like “Mission Accomplished” to me! Nice picking, Todd!

9 Likes

Thanks for the nice feedback!

5 Likes

Moving along with my 2020 Mandolin Project, here is a Sunday morning version of Cripple Creek. Please excuse the joyless look on my face, inside I am both picking AND grinning. Too much pressure once that “now recording” light goes live…

11 Likes

The hits keep on coming with my 2020 Mando Project, here is a simple version of Red Haired Boy. This isn’t Ben’s version. I don’t know where I picked this up. It was one of the first fiddle tunes I learned, oh too long ago. Sorry it’s a bit out of tune, but my Eastman MD515 doesn’t agree with the beach. Thanks for watching. Comments, Cash, Criticism and Praise welcome.

10 Likes

Nice job! I always like to hear the same song different ways. Gives me ideas! I’m currently trying to learn Ben’s version but like you, its another version (different than both of you) & now I find myself mingling them up into yet something else :thinking: (same song) if that makes any sense lol! Keep on your project! :grin: It’s great to have goals! Mine is usually to try and play every day.

3 Likes

Mingling them up is the best way to make them your own. Thanks for the feedback.

4 Likes

Nice picking!

3 Likes

Nice job Todd

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

3 Likes

Forcing myself to keep the videos coming to track my progress (or lack of…). Boy I sure do play better when there are no “hot” recording devices. Once that red light comes on, the mojo flies away. I take 3 takes and choose the best one. I have to limit myself or I would go on for hours and hours searching for the perfect take. Without further adieu, I present Liberty…

9 Likes

Nice picking! Maybe for red light itis, try doing what I did on my irish tunes/tenor banjo post (Mar 17) and just set it (camera) up let it roll, thruout your whole practice session, dont stop, just keep playing whatever you will & eventually you forget its there… almost a sure thing you’ll have at least 1 good take of something, the more you do it the better it gets kind of thing. It was rather by accident I realized this. I set up camera so I could watch the playback & hear the sound on this old banjo we have, not to make a share worthy video. (was doing Irish stuff due to St Pat’s day. ) I’m not a banjo player so didnt really know what to expect or compare it to. Much to my surprise my noodling of several tunes resulted in quite a few somewhat decent clips of tunes! Had I set out to capture a specific song, I think I would have derailed. Just something new to try. :grin:

7 Likes

Hi Todd I agree with @Simone, turn on your camera and just play whatever. Every once in a while turn on record then look back to review your progress. Don’t get hung up on making mistakes we all make them. Remember to breathe if you stop breathing whilst playing it effects your playing. After a while you get used to the red light and your level of anxiety will gradually fall away each day.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. It’s amazing how much better I sound when I just let the camera roll and then 22 minutes in, I hear the magic.

5 Likes

Note to self - “just remember to breathe”. It sounds so easy, so instinctual, yet so hard. Thanks for the feedback, stay healthy.

4 Likes

Great picking! @Simone’s suggestion is fantastic, just use a device with a lot of storage space…

5 Likes