Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Which Mode?

Hi @Mr_G I am not overly frustrated by “Music Theory” I mean I don’t lie awake at night and fret over it. (pun intended) I 'd like a better understanding of the terms used. I have been through all your lessons here on Ben’s website and I can relate to most of what you talk about from what I learned at school 65 years ago. Although here in the UK we use different labels such as quavers, and crotches. So it’s not all alien to me.

I guess my visual learning process is a bit like your dyslexia. By your own admission you relate more easily to numbers than you can to rows of letters where I am more an audio visual learner where I have to picture something and connect that to a sound or list of instructions.

For example I can read a map and retain a picture of the route I am going to drive or if I have to ask directions I memorise landmarks along the route until I have to stop and seek new instructions.

I think that is what makes @BanjoBen such a great instructor since he is able to break down a lesson to manageable sections and employs visual and audio instructions but also adds an element of humour that ties the lessons together. Like a landmark or reference point. His humour triggers a visual image in my head that enables me to recall things within the lesson.

In contrast Kyle jumps straight in and talks about “degrees” without explaining what they are, assuming his audience knows exactly what he is talking about.

Other teachers like Mike Heading who talk so fast and with such a mundane tone in their voice it’s difficult not to want to switch off the video.

Don’t get me wrong I am not knocking Mike’s teaching approach. Rather I am trying to explain why I can’t learn from this style of instruction. For me it’s like listening to teenage fans screaming all the way through their idols performance and not hearing a note they sang.

I am sure you can relate to this.

I don’t know if this helps you to gain some understanding of where I am at and the obstacles that block my attention span and ability to learn new things.

You’ll observe I have used several images / video’s in this thread to convey my thought process.

oh we can become great friends. We are close to being that already! I will make videos to answer specific questions for folks, sometimes. If there is anything specific you identify I am sure I can build a quick video to answer you!

2 Likes

@Mr_G I am always here adding new content to the forum and doing my best to help others where I am able. I am not shy about asking for help / advice when the need arises. I know we’ll become good friends since we have similar goals, helping others.

1 Like

Couldn’t have been explained more simply…change your home note, and your playing in a different mode.

1 Like