Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

What Song Most Inspires you?

He’s amazing and such a nice guy… i kick my self for not demanding a go on his Granada…lol

I said hello to him from you as well and he said hi back

2 Likes

i would love to know what the banjo part to The Boy Who Wouldn’t Hoe Corn is…

2 Likes

Hi @WillCoop Been working on and off with this tutorial for a few years. Looks easy but this is a tough one for sure

2 Likes

Hey @BanjoBen Ron is a real nice guy’ I had a chat with him when he was in Stirling a few weeks back with Tony Furtado

2 Likes

Hey @Archie,

I am totally with you. I bought the arrangement Lesson and was determined to learn it - no matter the difficulty.

there is just something about this song and I like it so much. I arranged the simplified version for mando.

To your point, I have not yet got it down and don’t expect I will anytime soon but what an arrangement it is! Tom makes it look so easy, doesn’t he?

This is one of those times when a simple song with a simple Melody but put into the hands of a gifted player become something else.

I am happy you told me @Archie because it’s nice when others can see the artistry in a song/artist/band also.

Obviously this is true and why we are sharing on the topic about that very thing.

1 Like

Now, I wish I had separated the videos because I would like to know if the lights are for The Dillards or Michigan’s own… Greensky Bluegrass.

For me, obviously both songs impress me and speak to me. , @Dragonslayer, @shedrick, @D_HRRFan7303, @MissMaggie and others moving forward - if you were kind enough to share likes for this post, please comment which earned the like. It would be totally valid and pleasantly surprising if the answer was both (as the third and best option :wink:).

2 Likes

I gave a like for your post for the Dillards, I too love that video. I didn’t watch the greensky one cuz it wasn’t embedded

3 Likes

Living Over:. Greensky Bluegrass:

2 Likes

@Dragonslayer,

@Dragonslayer, problem solved.

3 Likes

Sorry Just saw this! My Like was for the Dillards on Andy Griffith show playing There is a Time.

I’m not afraid to admit it: The first time (actually more than just the first time) I saw that I was brought to tears. I don’t know what it is, but I LOVE that version of the song.

4 Likes

@shedrick,

Yes… I totally agree… There is a haunting beauty to that song… Contemplative… Music that ebbs and flows with swells and draws soft. I also enjoy how Andy was playing and just stops to take it in.

I know it is just TV…but his emotion came across as very genuine.

It gets to me also. Thank you for having the courage to share your feelings.

I am glad I am not alone.

And the quiet fading at the end… But played at the same speed is very impressive. May have been a “Studio thing”… but I have my doubts back in the mid '60s.

3 Likes

This is a great video, Bela gives a lot of insight into composing and improvising, and plays a great tune!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Awww… Don’t stop the train!

On my topic, I posted the question - one song, one instrument… But there is no limits on this one!

2 Likes

Too many to list, but on the top of the list are a few that are my “go to” tunes when I need a kick start for practice. “Solo Flight” by Charlie Christian, “Billie’s Bounce” from the Blue Benson album, “Mystery Pacific” by Django Reinhardt, nearly anything by David Grier, any duo of Joe Pass and Herb Ellis, John Williams playing anything and any developed solo by Wes Montgomery (I especially like his recordings with his brothers). If we aren’t talking guitar, then “Fanfare for the Common Man” gets my blood pumping and so does “Jupiter” from The Planets (Holst).

3 Likes

YES!!! My wife thinks I am weird the way I crank that up. You think John Williams was a little inspired by the whole planets suite?

A friend of mine who is a widow is getting married this week. Her former husband was a pro guitarist and she wanted me to have/find good homes for some equipment. There was a Marshall amp she REALLY wanted me to have (a cool old Vox amp is going to the church). I brought the stuff home. The Marshall’s pots were all crusty/noisy. I couldn’t even move a few and the sound was totally broken up, I opened it up, cleaned the pots (30 minutes of work), and it is about 95% pure awesomeness now. I know that it isn’t the “right” rig, but for some reason running that thing pretty open in the hangar (lots of bouncy surfaces) makes me want to get my ZZ Top groove on, so for the last few days, I been learning and playing Billy Gibbons riffs. Very fun stuff.

4 Likes

My favorite version of Jupiter is the New York Symphony with Leonard Bernstein conducting. As far as John Williams, I meant the classical guitarist, not the conductor. His precision is nearly unheard of: https://youtu.be/wDAHl54V0CU . I’ve played this tune when I was fast and clean(30+ years ago), and it was never at the precision of this fellow (although his triplets get slightly sloppy about 50 measures in :wink: )

3 Likes

Sorry for the mis-direction. Yes, I meant the conductor, and I forgot all about you mentioning the gutiarist JW. I too am a fan of JW. I had his Albeniz album (wore it out) and bought the score for it. I never got to first base working on those songs.

1 Like

If it weren’t for the Deliverance soundtrack, I don’t know if I ever would have picked up the banjo and discovered the joy of bluegrass. I sure didn’t listen to it in California in the 80’s. That is what first inspired me to listen to this genre (of which I can’t decide upon just one song).

4 Likes

This was true for me… and I saw this at the movie theater when I was very young.

2 Likes